Pugly | Page 38 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pugly

The Good, The Bad, & the Pugly :D

1994 Purple Explorer XLT 4wd

I decided to have a registry for my "Other" rig so I can post things done and have a reference for it.

Pretty much stock drive train.

4.0 OHV-A4ld-1354e.
D35 front 4:56 Yukon gears, Aussie Locker.
2nd gen disc 8.8 rear 4:56 gears, Spartan Locker.

Front C-Clip eliminator Mod.

Slight lift with 2" Skyjacker coils & rear F-150 hybrid leaf packs.

3" PA body lift
Helpful thread with pics for the front body mounts
Pics of front body lift mounts

Swapped to manual hubs.
Double U-joint XJ steering shaft.

33" x 12.5" x 15" Cooper Discoverer ATX3, mounted on 15"x10" AR Outlaw1 alum wheels - full size matching spare.

Shocks:
Front Rancho 9000xl
Rear Rancho 9000xl
Duff Stabilizer shock.

Sway bar quick disconnects front & rear.
Custom tube sliders w/kickouts

22" LED light bar.
18w amber fog Led pods.
55w rock lights--2 front--1 rear over diff.
8 LED pods for rocker lights.

Full brush guard.
2.5" Fender Flares.

TTB Diff guard & Skid plate.

Custom roof rack with 48" Extreme Hi-Lift jack.

Flipped Tow hitch & front hooks for tow points.

Cobra19 CB & rear hatch mounted firestick antenna.
Rear view HD camera.
JVC DVD/CD/MP3 Head unit with 7" HD Monitor.
Sony 6.5" front speakers.
Rockford Fosgate 5.25" component rear speakers.
8" JL Audio sub in 2001 enclosure with 500w amp mounted on enclosure.

Custom made center console with CB/Rear view color monitor/2-12v outlets/ in-out temp display. D cell Maglite mounted on cargo panel. Truck bed liner on cargo floor.
Custom Cargo storage box with topside spare tire mount.

'99 Eddie Bauer Front Leather buckets.
'94 Limited Rear leather split bench.

Pugsnewshoes_zpsf609e609.jpg

puglynewbrushguard1.jpg

94frontpassprofile.jpg

puglyrti2.jpg

puglyrearrti1.jpg

puglyrti1.jpg

aftermathmudbath2.jpg

puglysnewseats.jpg

cbantbracket.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I see I wasn't the only one to have bearing issues after a trip this last year!

Can't say I've ever seen this rig...can't believe I've never looked at this thread before! I like it!

Well, Hi Caleb. Welcome to all that is Pugly! lol

Yeah, the bearings on these can be a pita at times.

Forgot to add these to the thread. Sliders have been welded up, POR15 Chassis & POR15 Top coated. As soon as somebody I know, with a nice "Real" welder, has the time, he will burn them in for me. I Don't trust my 115v for structural items as these.

Yes, I painted them in my basement to get them done. Too cold in the Garage for that! :D

94 new tube sliders painted  loose.jpg

let's go bash'em on some rocks!

I like those 1st gen's, I wish I could have saved my 93 completely. I like both body styles, the 2nd is just more friendly for street use for me.

If anybody has a set of 4wd spindles, I am in need of a nice clean set!!!

Siezed another inner front bearing to the spindle on the Hwy at 70 mph. Luckily I had a uses set of bearings. I was also lucky I had my bag of power tools. Used the grinder to cut the frozen race off the spindle, and got it back together to get it home. Man that was an ordeal!!

I think these spindles are just wore out, with a couple issues, and need replaced. :(

Siezed another inner front bearing to the spindle on the Hwy at 70 mph.

:eek:

Our rigs are showing their age.

I lost a wheel on the Pumpkin two months ago... The lug nuts that held on the drivers side wheel spacer stripped right off the studs. Just pulled right out. Didn't feel anything weird until right before the wheel left at 45-50mph. So much suspension travel it just settled down easy on the rotor. No big bang.

Tire and wheel barely missed a passing pickups windshield:eek: It took a bounce that put it at that height. Then it went over a barbed wire fence and down a hill. Such fun...

I remember your post on that Rick. Scary stuff! 260k miles and still runs like a champ, but I have been throwing parts at it constantly. Still cheaper than a new car payment for a work rig. Can't complain too much. lol

So far 2 members have responded to me, and looks like I might have one by the weekend if all goes well. :)

Good to hear, the found parts and not getting hurt.

I have my old 91 I have got to sell soon. I wish someone who could use it was close enough to get it. I haven't advertised though. Night,

Thanks for the link! I bookmarked it, just in case these used spindles are worn, and can't be used.

That is actually the best price I have seen on them, for new.

What did Gman learn today?

Learned that you can hammer out the preinstalled races, inside the front rotors, and use the spacer cups, from a 4wd ball joint press kit, to seat new ones back in with a mini sledge.

Installed new set of bearings today, and polished the spindles, with emery cloth to get through the work week. A used spindle will be here this weekend, and I get to rip it all apart again. Yay!....... (sigh)

Or that! :chug:

It's hard to get to the Mods on this thing, as the upkeep keeps getting in the way.

The A/C was rebuilt 2 summers ago. Last summer it needed 1 can to charge it, this year, 2 cans. Sigh....

This weekends project, is ripping out the worn out stock steering gear box, and installing new lines to it. It started to lane change on it's own a few days ago, and that is just not acceptable. lol

(yes, everything else has been checked, and found in good condition)

Well, it couldn't make up it's mind which lane it wanted to be in, so I gave it a time out for misbehaving.

So I got the old box out, and the new one in easy enough. It is a bit of a challenge to get it lined up and a bolt started, while laying under the vehicle, and holding the awkard ***** with one hand. I slid a punch in one of the holes to the frame and box, to hold it in place, until I could get a bolt started. That was the easy part so far.

Now I am stuck. Been fighting the new return line fitting to the box for 2 fricking hours, and my fingers are sore and bleeding. It just wont thread into the box. I had to take a break and walk away, before a wrench disappeared violently. Once that is in, all that is left, is to connect the steering shaft, drop it back to the ground, and torque the pitman arm nut, fill it with fluids, and bleed it.

I might wait a day to let the fingers heal up some.

Old box, new box, and new lines.
old gearbox.jpg

new gearbox.jpg

new lines.jpg

Back