Pulling motor, any suggestions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pulling motor, any suggestions

Cuska

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XL
It seems that my rear timing chain tensioner had gone and while pulling a sharp corner into a parking lot on the weekend and I believe the rear timing chain on my 4.0 SOHC slipped.

Of course the truck stalled and when I attempted to start it, all I got was starter noise (starter sounded quicker than normal). After troubleshooting with a mechanic friend I think we may have played around with it a little much and I think the valves might have struck the pistons.

So I am pulling the motor this weekend to check it out. Probably will replace all of the timing chains, tensioners and cassettes, and check the valvetrain to see if there was any contact.

The truck is almost at the 300,000 KM mark I am wondering if anyone could suggest things to check or replace while I have the motor out.

Thanks!

Transmission? lol actually not a bad idea if its original...and its much easier to put on with the engine removd.

I would replace the engine with a salvaged unit. The parts and tooling for what you plan to undertake, are substantial. Obtain a late model engine, and use your existing fuel system. And definitely the torque converter if its original.

Thanks for the input guys

The Transmission should be in pretty good shape. I used to work as a shop hand in a tranny shop. So it has had a very careful eye on it for a number of years and regular maintenance.

I may swap the motor depending on how bad it looks. If i were, I would go all the way with something built by Super Six Motorsports.

So far this is the first major issue and I have owned her for almost 10 years.

Back