pursuit mode | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

pursuit mode

2 ball

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 explorer PI
I have an agency issued 2017 police interceptor. When I am going fast and slam on the brakes almost to a complete stop, I get stuck in 1st gear for 10 to 15 seconds. If I floor the gas, It feels like I could redline the tach.

Is this a malfunctioning pursuit mode or do I have something else going on?

When I had my transmission fluid changed (the tec said my transmission fluid was low before he changed it 25,000 miles), the issue got better after the trans fluid change, but it still happens.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's pretty much the way it works whether they are agency issued or not.

When you say it is agency issued, are you patrol? Did you get any training/instruction with it? Did you ask the person that assigned it to you/motor pool/etc...?

yes, patrol, no training or information what so ever except driving through a cone course. Fleet did not have an answer for me. The first time I heard of pursuit mode was on this forum.

What mine is doing cannot be by design. There is a 10 to 15 second period where you can't go over 40 miles per hour (because it's stuck in 1st gear). That could be catastrophic if you need to get out of the way of an oncoming vehicle!

Welcome to the Forum 2 ball.:wave:

Peter

Have you tried letting off the gas while it's stuck in first gear to see if it would force the shift?

Might want to type in "pursuit mode" in this forum search bar. Pretty good explanation of what it is and that might give you some things/sensors to look at.

Have you tried letting off the gas while it's stuck in first gear to see if it would force the shift?

yes, I have tried making it shift letting off the gas pedal.

Hot Pursuit: Ford Interceptors Built For Police

I guess these came in all kinds of configurations?

I have a 2017 but I don't have, Surveillance Mode, blind spot monitor, a tailgate release and if there were ballistic panels in the doors, I think they would have told me.

I believe thats how pursuit mode works. It keeps the revs up when you brake hard/corner so you can get back into power quicker.

Old thread but on the 6F55, if you manually shift into 1st gear, you will be stuck in 1st gear if you punch the throttle. I found with the SHO, Explorer, and Fusion Sport that if I accidentally manually downshifted into 1st with the paddles/buttons, and am WOT (to merge onto a freeway, etc...) I need to upshift well before the revlimiter to give it time to upshift. Otherwise it will bang off the limiter in 1st gear. Again, this is only if I manually downshifted into 1st gear. If I do a forced downshift into 1st gear, it will automatically upshift to 2nd at the right time.

It sounds like pursuit mode might be doing the former for some reason.

I have an agency issued 2017 police interceptor. When I am going fast and slam on the brakes almost to a complete stop, I get stuck in 1st gear for 10 to 15 seconds. If I floor the gas, It feels like I could redline the tach.

Is this a malfunctioning pursuit mode or do I have something else going on?

When I had my transmission fluid changed (the tec said my transmission fluid was low before he changed it 25,000 miles), the issue got better after the trans fluid change, but it still happens.
yeah, you need to achieve redline (which is actually probably just above the tach's indicated redline) and it will shift into 2nd.
you may be able to fool it with changing the trans map mode. You had started in regular "drive" and the trans was thinking for itself to go into pursuit mode. When it's in pursuit on its own, try pressing low gear on end of shifter stalk and then press it again. I believe that button is basically you manually putting it into pursuit mode, whereas your complaint surfaces from it automatically/unexpectedly going in.
so.. it goes into pursuit automatically... then you manually select pursuit mode only to quickly manually deselect pursuit mode. I bet that would override how it automatically went into pursuit mode in the first place and resume relaxed cruising.

I don't think the "L" or Low Gear is the same as Sport or Pursuit Mode. On the GM 6Txx transmissions, they only have that Manual mode but if you drive it aggressively enough (like a Malibu with the 2.0L LTG) it goes into Performance Shift Mode, and behaves just like Pursuit Mode.

But Pursuit Mode sounds like Sport Mode for the civilian Explorers/Tauruses/Fusions, except Sport Mode offers more flexibility. The throttle pedal mapping is more aggressive, the transmission holds gears around corners, etc... and revmatches your downshifts during hard braking into a corner at least on my Fusion Sport. I don't recall this aggressive downshifting while braking occurring on the SHO or Explorer.

Either way it seems to be part of the PCM, and I haven't found a way to enable it on the non-PI's, nor have I found a way to adjust the Performance Shift mode on the GM's.

Back