Push Bar for Explorer | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I got the "front" part and that is why I asked before merging your thread with this one. Good luck and Happy New Year.

Peter
Thank Peter....

Anyone have suggestions that covers the whole front of the explorer (2017)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On the '17 I am hearing that anything, like a push bar, that blocks the sensors will cause an issue.

I have a Setina push bar PB400 with Whelan white strobes, and controller, built into the top bar and round driving lights mounted on the lower bracket. See photos earlier in this thread. It is for sale, but located in the US Virgin Islands. The car was written off after rodents ate the air bags and wiring. I only have the aluminum main structure available. The mounting hardware should be readily available from Setina. Make an offer.

On the '17 I am hearing that anything, like a push bar, that blocks the sensors will cause an issue.
I suppose that could very well be Scott. Prior to the front sensors being added in 2016, the main concern was blocking the Adaptive Cruise Control radar unit.

Peter

I suppose that could very well be Scott. Prior to the front sensors being added in 2016, the main concern was blocking the Adaptive Cruise Control radar unit.

Peter
That's a bummer

I am seriously considering a "Safari" vs. push bar for my Ex. I had one on my 2005 Explorer Sport Trac mainly for off road protection and to mount my two PIAA auxiliary lights.

I want to keep it low profile and not lose any front end ground clearance. I am looking at the Westin Contour Safari bar. It comes in black powdered coated steel or shiny stainless steel. I live on the coast so the stainless steel is appealing but I'd probably plastic-dip paint it black to keep it lower profile. I don't have front sensors or cameras, etc.

Does anyone have one on their Ex? Has anyone plastic-dip painted a stainless steel bar? How is the durability?

Here's a pic from Westin of the Safari Bar on an Ex with lights (but not the style I might choose). The second pic shows that there is no loss of ground clearance which was on of my preferences.

ExpSafariBar1.jpg

ExpSafariBar2.jpg

Last edited:

I'm wondering if a brush guard, grille guard, bull bar, push bar etc., would interfere with the front sensors used for parking and adaptive cruise (or any other features)?

I tried searching the forum, but didn't find a definitive answer.
I really want to add one, but the wife relies on the features that might be affected.

Thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

MWS
2017 Explorer Platinum

I'm wondering if a brush guard, grille guard, bull bar, push bar etc., would interfere with the front sensors used for parking and adaptive cruise (or any other features)?

I tried searching the forum, but didn't find a definitive answer.
I really want to add one, but the wife relies on the features that might be affected.

Thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

MWS
2017 Explorer Platinum
Check out posts 49 and 51 for the answers.

Peter

Behind the plastic cover for the front end, is a structural steel rectangular section tube as the main bumper. The Setina push bar uses a D shaped clamp for the top and bottom mounts on each side. This allows it to be a push bar (it is designed for police issue). With the extra side wrap, it allows Pitt maneuvers without vehicle damage. The push bar is not heavy, being made of marine grade structural aluminium. Distance between uprights is 33" and will accept a 180w 32" LED light bar. I have added round flame throwers to the lower bracket, which places the lens behind the bar, protecting it from damage. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/picture.php?pictureid=7323&albumid=587&dl=1395917863&thumb=1

Can you repost the photo referenced here? It is no longer available.

Behind the plastic cover for the front end, is a structural steel rectangular section tube as the main bumper. The Setina push bar uses a D shaped clamp for the top and bottom mounts on each side. This allows it to be a push bar (it is designed for police issue). With the extra side wrap, it allows Pitt maneuvers without vehicle damage. The push bar is not heavy, being made of marine grade structural aluminium. Distance between uprights is 33" and will accept a 180w 32" LED light bar. I have added round flame throwers to the lower bracket, which places the lens behind the bar, protecting it from damage. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/picture.php?pictureid=7323&albumid=587&dl=1395917863&thumb=1

yes PB400. I had spoken to factory directly before ordering from a dealer, and found out that powder coating, in my case Silver, was an optional extra cost ($20,) Note, there are available in either steel or aluminium (I got aluminium due to weight considerations, and it is pretty tough - check my photo albums)

definitely the 30" light bar will fit. I believe there are identical models, not under the "Rigid" label available on eBay for less than $200. (specs are identical)

I see two options for mounting, either attached to the flat surface of the cross plate, or mounted low, on the brackets (where I mounted my spots)

The Setina, by the way, can be ordered with strobes or without, the strobe controller being built in, making wiring simple.. The no-police option strobes can be amber or white. Basic PB400 (no lights) runs a bit under $300, with strobes about another $200.

I did have my DRL activated. The lower round LED is wired to the DRL bulb wiring directly.

Glad to be of help. Come visit the islands one day.:chug:

You said the "no-police option"...are you saying we can order the PB-450-L with the white strobes? Or is there a PB-400 with a strobe option?

yes PB400. I had spoken to factory directly before ordering from a dealer, and found out that powder coating, in my case Silver, was an optional extra cost ($20,) Note, there are available in either steel or aluminium (I got aluminium due to weight considerations, and it is pretty tough - check my photo albums)

definitely the 30" light bar will fit. I believe there are identical models, not under the "Rigid" label available on eBay for less than $200. (specs are identical)

I see two options for mounting, either attached to the flat surface of the cross plate, or mounted low, on the brackets (where I mounted my spots)

The Setina, by the way, can be ordered with strobes or without, the strobe controller being built in, making wiring simple.. The no-police option strobes can be amber or white. Basic PB400 (no lights) runs a bit under $300, with strobes about another $200.

I did have my DRL activated. The lower round LED is wired to the DRL bulb wiring directly.

Glad to be of help. Come visit the islands one day.:chug:

You said the "no-police option"...are you saying we can order the PB-450-L with the white strobes? Or is there a PB-400 with a strobe option?
I ordered my push bar back in December, and received it around the beginning of February. I was going to pay to have someone put it on, but finally decided to do it myself. I finally put it on yesterday, and it was a lot easier than expected.

There were 7 10mm bolts up top along with 2 push pin type retainers. On the bottom, there were 9 or 10 8mm bolts to remove. There were 6 really small bolts to remove at each front tire. The grill and bumper can come off together as 1 piece.

http://i.imgur.com/YnYoiYV.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/RczceBX.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/gDmWi4y.jpg

Yours looks real nice! I have a 2016 Sport, all black like yours. Based on the forum, I will be buying the Setina with White Strobes.

........Yours looks real nice! I have a 2016 Sport, all black like yours. Based on the forum, I will be buying the Setina with White Strobes.
Just be aware that it will interfere with your front sensors, if you have them. See post 49 and 51 as explained in post 250.

Peter

I went with the Westin bull bar in powder coated black and Unity SAE approved clear fogs (I live on the coast).

ExpNuLights1.jpg

ExpBar&Plate.jpg

I really wanted to get a Setina bar for my '17 Sport, but it seems that the front parking sensors are affected. Anyone know if its possible to disconnect the ones that are affected and still be able to use the ones to the right and left side of the bumper? Our garage is pretty small and the Sport barely fits so we use the front camera/parking sensors quite a bit. I assume its not possible and my wife will get her way (no push bar). But if there was any hope I figured I would find it here ;)

I really wanted to get a Setina bar for my '17 Sport, but it seems that the front parking sensors are affected. Anyone know if its possible to disconnect the ones that are affected and still be able to use the ones to the right and left side of the bumper? Our garage is pretty small and the Sport barely fits so we use the front camera/parking sensors quite a bit. I assume its not possible and my wife will get her way (no push bar). But if there was any hope I figured I would find it here ;)
I'm interested as well with a '17.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I don't know if disabling just a couple of sensors is possible. A push bar may also affect the function of the Adaptive Cruise Control and Forward Collision Warning with Brake Support if you have that.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I don't know if disabling just a couple of sensors is possible. A push bar may also affect the function of the Adaptive Cruise Control and Forward Collision Warning with Brake Support if you have that.

Peter
Thanks!
No AAC or Forward Collision, just the parking sensors (which are very nice). I just like the look of the Sport with the push bar. I figured it wasnt possible, I am surprised that there isnt a way to relocate them to accommodate the push bar. It would be awesome if Setina made a kit that would allow someone to move the sensors to the push bar.

Back