Push Bar for Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is this frame mounted, or bumper mounted? If it's frame mounted it would have saved me from destroying my fog light by brushing the stop block in the parking lot when I first got the car.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Frame Mounted. You wouldnt mount that to the Bumper..

Those pics looks awesome. I want to order a push bumper. Which site did you order it from?

Well, technically, it IS body mounted, since there is NO Frame... so theye can be no frame mounted system. I believe from what Setina have said, is that they utilize the mounting locations from the steel bumper cross member located behind all that plastic. in their case they go over and under that cross member. Those tube bull bars I have seen, use a small flat plate tab lightly welded inside the lower ends of the tube, mounted with two bolts to some flat surface... too much leverage, and too weak a mount, to be effective other than decorative.

I guess we'll find out for sure tomorrow about the lower valance. It looks like it is gone in the picture. I'll decide if I take it off entirely or just notch it out arount the bars. If the valance is there for fuel economy reasons, I don't want to go messing up my 25+ hwy mpgs.

I trust you have gone to the effort to calculate the effect of these bolt ons and added weight to fuel consumption ... just sayin'

:D

Well, technically, it IS body mounted, since there is NO Frame... so theye can be no frame mounted system. I believe from what Setina have said, is that they utilize the mounting locations from the steel bumper cross member located behind all that plastic. in their case they go over and under that cross member. Those tube bull bars I have seen, use a small flat plate tab lightly welded inside the lower ends of the tube, mounted with two bolts to some flat surface... too much leverage, and too weak a mount, to be effective other than decorative.

touche! ;) I meant is it mounted to the structural support of the vehicle, or to the molded portions that are mostly aesthetics. :)

I don't think it's ineffective (if mounted as you say), it wouldn't be effective for actually push or bully use, but it would definitely help avoid damage to the lower portion of the bumper/fog lights from curbs and parking blocks.

Finally received the Setina push bar... this weekend is the install. I"ll get a picture show of the install. All I can say now, is the colour of the Setina Silver Powder coat is a dead ringer for the ingot silver of my explorer... Push bar itself is light, being all aluminum, but the mounting hardware is massive 2" x 1/4" steel plate formed, drilled and powder coated. Mounts around the steel cross bar behind all that plastic shroud. Definitely designed with pushing capability.

Relatively straight forward two hour installation. Definitely something that can be used to push with. Setina PB400 Silver Powder coat by manufacturer. I was impressed with the quality and durability over other types at the same price or more... definitely good value for the buck.

bar.jpg

bar6.jpg

@tropicvi: your fog lights look cool. Hows the light output/throw?

@tropicvi: your fog lights look cool. Hows the light output/throw?

They were good... however, the control box went up in a puff of smoke, so I wired them directly... they lasted about 4 days, and the LEDs fried... I will find another set, probably rigged as a flasher type system. Fogs aren't necessary here in the tropics. the blue/white light looked great...

Same push bar - different

Here, thanks to this original post, is the Setina Push Bar I installed. I ordered a silver powder coat, which they do for an extra $20. Damn new match for the silver ingot OEM paint on the Ex.

Attachments

• DSC02812s.jpg
    DSC02812s.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 8,427

Very good instructions for making aftermarket modifications.

Just remember the vehicle in the pictures is a Police Interceptor Utility not a retail Explorer.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/Showroom/...Int-mguide.asp

Interesting this guide lists passenger capacity as 5... as if the third row seat is meaningless...

This guide is for the Police Interceptor Utility. If you look at the seats section of the guide it only lists 2 rows.

This guide is for the Police Interceptor Utility. If you look at the seats section of the guide it only lists 2 rows.

That's what I get for commenting withour reading it all... did see that just after I posted...:rolleyes: thanks... and cheers..

Hey guys! Been doing some research and I found a company named Black Horse. They just came out w/ a Bull bar for the Explorer.

I think it looks way better than the Aires one. Its also bigger too. Anyways I purchased it and I feel happy about it.

I got the Stainless steel version. It comes in Black also.

11-12-Explorer-BullBar-SS-SP.jpg

I got it for $250 Shipped.

I'll post pictures once installed!

Sweet!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bull Bar arrived!

Installing tomorrow!

428080_366053993413749_100000274534778_1383463_988605533_n.jpg

Back