Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Push Button 4WD

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by MSP, September 17, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. MSP

MSP New Member

City, State:
      Edmonton, Alberta
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1994 Explorer
      I am unable to engage my 4WD using the push button on the dash. All I hear is a click from the controller box in the rear wheel well. I pulled the x-fer case shift motor, cleaned the armmature and brushes, reinstalled and it still did not work. Then when I shut the ignition off and turned it back on it had shifted itself into 4 lo. The only way to get it back to 2wd was to remove the shift motor and manualy move the x-fer case back to 2wd. Does anyone have other ideas?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. TPLYNCH

TPLYNCH Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Brewster, NY
      1999 XLS
      Did you try disconnecting the battery first? Sometimes the computer needs to relearn where the motor is and resets itself. Should have tried this before removing the motor a second time. Are you sure you replaced the motor in the proper position. Also, be sure all the wires inside and out are connected properly and there are no breaks.

Did you use the singleton instructions. I'll post link just in case... http://www.glue.umd.edu/~singletn/exp.html

4. MSP

MSP New Member

City, State:
      Edmonton, Alberta
      1994 Explorer
      I tried the battery. Disconnected it both times, still no joy.

5. Carl D.

Carl D. Active Member

City, State:
      St Charles MO
      92 Explorer Sport
      sounds like a bad shift motor, not uncommon :mad:

6. dejello

dejello perpetually unconcious

City, State:
      College Station, TX
      Can you get the motor to move by manually applying power? (I don't know if this is bad for things or not)... That's the only way I can get mine to move right now... General symptoms seem the same.. (though I don't remember if I get a click or not, at first it was no, then later on yes) I just don't know what's wrong with mine and haven't looked in a while... I'm trying to forget about it...

If you figure it out, let us know please!

EDIT - When you take apart the motor, don't the contacts or whatever have to be lined up with the little circuit board on the gear that turns the shaft when you put it all back together? If it does, is it lined up right?

7. MSP

MSP New Member

City, State:
      Edmonton, Alberta
      1994 Explorer
      Good News, I changed the shift module ( rear drivers side access panel) and all works well. I got the shift module for nothing at a wrecker. Bonus!

8. dejello

dejello perpetually unconcious

City, State:
      College Station, TX
      That's good, glad to hear it's fixed... Hmmm... maybe I need to find one for nothing and see if that fixes mine... :)