• Register Today It's free!

Putting a Cam in A 99 Explorer V8

Ridinghighn69

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha,NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer
I am wanting to place a b303 cam in my explorer but i asked several people including the performance shop and they say they neverheard of it being done. I know it is basically the same engine as a mustang other that the electronic distrubiter. I just want to know if this has ever been done or is it even possible. Will the computer adjust for the new duration in the cam or will it start backfiring. I'm not sure please help! Has this ever been done?

I'd do a search for cams on this site. Infact, there a pretty good thread about the e303 cam right here. I think the b303 is a bit more mild than the e303. I dont know if anyone here as done a b303 but I know a number of people have done the e303 and they like it. What made you decide to go with a b303?

You said this has been done. Does these explorers have that electronic distrubutiers too.

Yes, I know for sure a member by the name of Expo5.0 has done this. He has a '96. He said you'll need a chip once you do the swap. But other than that.. I think it'll run fine with the computer.

Back