Question about sct tuners? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question about sct tuners?

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer XLT 5.0 V8
Callsign
N6TFE
ive got a 98 2wd XLT 5.0 I have seen the sct x4 7015 will work on my x but what I would like to know is if that is all 7015s or would I need to find one special that lists my truck

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pretty sure the SCT uses an algorithm to modify the OEM programming so no, you don't need need one pre-configured for '98 5.0 Explorer.

It will work on your Ex out of the box.

My x4 asks to confirm certain parameters it pulls after being connected and 'married' to the vehicle.

It has the capability to be used on a wide range of different vehicles.

What year is your Ex 98 or 99?

Your post says 98 and your profile box says 99.

I tried the 3015 (X3) canned tune on a 98' 5.0L once with the only mods being a spintech 5000 muffler and VB and I could not tell the difference. I loaded the tune, drove it for a few weeks, then set it back to stock then drove it for a few more. I did this 3 times and felt nothing. Even adjusting the shift firmness didn't seem to make a difference.

Did the X4 make a difference on your rig MAS?

Let me start by saying that my 5.0 is completely STOCK except for the removal of the rear two cats.

All FoMoCo except the coils are MSD, hey I like the red.

The trans is as Ford built it except for the 4406 t-case.

It has the approximate 2" t-bar and 3 1-2 - 4" rear lifts with 33x10 1/2 tires, and still has the 3.73 gears.

On my x4 there are 3 box tunes for 3 different octane rated fuels, and you can make adjustments to many of the settings like, idle, spark advance, fan temp on/off, etc.

I run the regular octane tune with a few tweaks and, yes there is a noticeable difference.

Mine runs cooler, feels like it comes on smoother when opening it up, and goes a little further on a tank when travelling on the highway.

If I put some premium in and run the premium tune, it wakes up noticeably.

But without premium it'll detonate like crazy with that tune.

I haven't tried the mid grade tune.

On the phone once, an SCT rep told me that the x4 tuner for the Ford wouldn't work on the Mercury and that I needed to buy the x4 for the Mercury which did not come with any box tunes and buy a couple of custom tunes.

My Ford x4 has worked great on my 2000 Mercury.

The x4 when married scans the vin and mine comes back as 2000 Ford Explorer (?).

I really don't understand what he was talking about.

Back