1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Question about speaker polarities

Discussion in 'Explorer Audio & Navigation' started by Kamaaina, December 21, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Kamaaina

Kamaaina Active Member

City, State:
      Hawaii
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '96 XLT 2wd
      When I fade the music to the front speakers the bass is strong. When I fade the music to the rear the bass is also strong. When I fade to the middle position the bass seems to get weaker from both front and rear. I made sure that I hooked up the speakers properly. Is it true that if I have one set of speakers with the wrong polarity it will cancel out the other speakers? Before I installed the speakers I made sure that the + and - were correct by using a AA battery and seeing which way the cone kicks and then hooked up the "hot" lead and common lead correctly. Oh, by the way, this is with the OEM head unit. When the fader is split in the middle do I lose some of the bass because it is being split four ways?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. TJM623

TJM623 Active Member

City, State:
      Strongsville, Ohio
      '98 XLT
      I would think so...If what i'm think of it's right...think about it...Say your pushing 100 watts...split that to two speakers and your getting 50 on each side per say...now split 100 to 4 speakers your only getting 25 watts to each...?? that's how i would think of it i'm probably compleltly off though so lets see what someone else has to say

4. davesexplorer

davesexplorer Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Central PA
      2001 F350 7.3
      no, sorry I dont mean to come off as mean but you're wrong in a way..
      If you were talking about a mono amp, and varying impedances between speakers then you'd be right.. But it is all load dependant, the amp puts out power according to the load (speaker impedance) attached to it... say you have a mono amp, 2 ohms stable 600 watt rms at 2 ohms, 300 @ 4 ohms.
      you attach one speaker that is 4 ohms, that speaker will get 300 watts, then say you attach a pair of 8 ohm speakers paralleled, together they total 4 ohms, and will recieve another 300 watts from the amp together, but each speaker is a less resistant 8 ohms which means each of them will get ~150 watts. You can run really as many speakers as the amp will handle, all the way down to its minimum impedance.

The polarity thing could be the problem, if you have 2 speakers out of phase with the others you're goin to get plenty of cancellation, as long as all the speakers are in sync with each other you'll be fine... The battery is a good way of testing this as you did.
      It really could be something weird with your speaker dynamics or the vehicles sound properties I dunno, are they aftermarket speakers?

5. Kamaaina

Kamaaina Active Member

City, State:
      Hawaii
      '96 XLT 2wd
      This is basically a stock setup with OEM head unit and speakers. I tried Pioneer and Infinity speakers but lost a lot of low frequencies with these so I went back to stock. I don't need too much power as the music I listen is "old fart" style. Still, the bass is weak when the fader is "centered". I balance it with more bias towards the rear to get some of the bass back and it's okay, not great, just okay. Is it possible to add a four channel amp bywithin the speaker leads by adjusting the gain way down? Will there be static/noise?

6. TJM623

TJM623 Active Member

City, State:
      Strongsville, Ohio
      '98 XLT

No worries...I said if I was wrong correct me...ya taught me something new :p

7. davesexplorer

davesexplorer Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Central PA
      2001 F350 7.3
      look for a line output converter at your local wal-mart, stereo shop, online etc. It takes the speaker leads and converts them to rca outputs for external amplifiers.

Or, you could get an amplifier that has "speaker level inputs" which utilize your factory speaker wire from the factory head unit for input signal.

kewl :cool: