question for EVERYONE with gibson exhaust | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

question for EVERYONE with gibson exhaust

tbomb

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Levittown, NY (Long Island)
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport 4.0 SOHC 4x4
first of all, i promise this is the last exhaust thread im going to start ;)

ive pretty much narrowed it down to this, i think im either gonna get a gibson catbackor im just gonna get a stock system again.

from as much reasearch as i did in the last half hour, i think gibson might be the way to go. most people say theyre fairly quiet, but not too quiet. stainless steel with a lifetime warranty, and i found a complete catback system for the sohc! i called a gibson dealer near my moms house and he said the stainless steel kit is $472, which is a little pricey, but its stainless steel and it might be the right sound im looking for.

my question to all of you gibson guys out there is about the "drone" on highway driving. the guy at the dealer said every catback system in the world is going to drone - his exact words were, "its the nature of the beast", heh. now, im aware that ill hear the exhaust on the highway, but theres difference between hearing it and hearing a "drone." exhaust is exhaust, but a drone sounds like a flock of bees in your trunk while doing 70 mph on the highway.

please give me your thoughts, im really considering this.

thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

tbomb, I have a Gibson on my Ranger, so it may not be the best for comparison, but I do not get droning. I drive alot with the windows down too, FWIW.

Also, I didn't get the SS, I got the cheaper model, I think they call it 'aluminized steel. Save some money, and go with it. I've had it on for seven+ years, and it still looks great. Only the welds have rust.

doesnt look like im getting it after all. i talked to the local gibson dealer last night and we had the whole thing all set up to order, and all that crap, all i had to do was give him the go-ahead to order it. well, this morning, i wanted to make sure i told him it was for a 2 door, and apparently i forgot to tell him last night, and they dont make one for the 2 door sohc...some places have systems listed for 2 doors, and some places have systems listed for SOHC's, but they say "single inlet exhaust", and that isnt right, so i called around and i cant get a straight answer from anyone, so im not gonna waste my time with probably getting the wrong system.

why dont you just order an aftermarket gibson muffler and get custom pipes bent?

Originally posted by jimabena74
why dont you just order an aftermarket gibson muffler and get custom pipes bent?

i asked the guy at the local shop (which is the only authorized gibson place i contacted), and i already asked him about that, and he said you buy the muffler and do that, but its a royal pain in the ass. i didnt ask why, but for some reason its not done very often.

if it is a pian in the ass to install a muffler and bend custom pipes for the exit, then he isnt a good exhuast shop.... i got mine done for $50 and it took them 30 minutes

Originally posted by jimabena74
if it is a pian in the ass to install a muffler and bend custom pipes for the exit, then he isnt a good exhuast shop.... i got mine done for $50 and it took them 30 minutes

hes not an exhaust shop. hes a performance parts and wheel shop. hes an authorized gibson dealer, and he installs their catback, cuz their bolt ons, but apparently he said people run into problems or something when they just buy the muffler, so im not getting into all that.

and ive had custom systems done before, i cant imagine what you got for $50 and 30 minutes. mine always took about 2-3 hours and cost about $200.

Go here and you'll see the part # you need. Dead Link Removed

Actually you're right only for the 4 Dr. SOHC...

Can they be THAT different.

I like mine and it is silent at highway speeds as the sound of air and brick as well as loud tires I can't hear it. But in a parking garage or in the city it is definately noticeable.

Originally posted by Fischer

Can they be THAT different.

heh, YES. its a bolt on system, the pipes are going ot be different lengths and the hangars might be in different spots.

i got 2.5" aluminized pipe custom bent to exit next to my hitch on the right from the muffler.... it was $50 and took them 30 mniutes....

Mine took several hours to make and cost $200,

My Borla cost $275 and I bolted it on myself in about an hour.

It took the shop a little over an hour to put on duals.
Cost $100. I supplied the muffler.
This isnt rocket surgery...

Mine with the v8 is only noticeable when i am accelerating from a stop light when the rpms are around 2000 rpms and at that point it is only noticable not loud at all. Highway speeds with the RPM's around 2000 you will notice your exhaust but even having the radio at a normal volume and you wont even hear the exhaust at all. As a matter of fact the more gas you give it the quieter it gets. The only time you can hear it is between 1700-2300 rpms. Anything after that and at idle it is no different than stock.

I purchased the stainless simply because my truck is a 99 and i plan on keeping it at least for 12 years if possible so i wanted something that would last. Depending on the seasons and if you have harsh winters you could get totally screwed with muffler shop cheap pipes. My mustang would go through an exhaust system each year. Every year like clockwork i would fail inspection because of a hole somewhere.

Oh and i paid $430 delivered to my door at my local auto parts store. Summit racing had it listed for $330 + i would have to pay for shipping which would have been around 40 bucks if i remember correctly. But the problem was they were back ordered at summit racing and it would have taken at least a month to come in and my local place got it in one week so i paid the extra money.

Originally posted by Bill Kemp
This isnt rocket surgery...

or

Brain Science

tbaum, black magic ordered the one for the sohc, so if it fits black magic its gotta fit yours

Black Magic's is a 2001, Tbaum's is a 1998. Ford changed the SOHC muffler from a 2 inlet muffler to a single inlet muffler, I believe with the '01 model year. Black Magic, can you confirm?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yah, its too late anyway, and roberts right, that system wont fit cuz i have a dual inlet muffler. my exhaust guy is just putting on stock exhaust cuz hes running out of time, i have to get my truck back next week. next summer, i might play with the exhaust again, if i dont buy another toy (which im already shopping for :) )

Back