Question on AWD of a 1999 Explorer V8 5.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question on AWD of a 1999 Explorer V8 5.0

paulgml414

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer V8
Good afternoon,

I am trying to figure out if I have a problem with the AWD of my explorer. When I do sharp turns it has difficulty making the turn. Also I can feel a vibration during that turn, as if the wheel is dry slipping.

To troubleshoot, I did the following:

1) Lifted both front wheels and check that they spin freely. As I rotate one, the other one spins freely on the other direction, which I take as normal operation of a front differential.

2) Lift one front wheel while other on the ground and try to spin. Here is where the wheel was stuck. Movement was transferred to the shaft connected to the transfer case, but it would not move freely nor creep, as if it were permanently connected to the rear wheels.

It is my understanding that AWD have a viscous clutch for which I would expect that on the second test the wheel should be able to spin some.

Does this sound like I have a problem with the transfer case?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

t is my understanding that AWD have a viscous clutch for which I would expect that on the second test the wheel should be able to spin some.
Thanks!

Not neccessarly, i think the amount of effort required is far greater than a hand. Best test is to remove the front drive shaft and see if the binding it gone. If not it might be in the rear diff. Note some report that the truck may move/roll in Park, so block the wheel during testing . . .

I didn't know the coupling was that tight. There is two things I am going to try then. One is to use a long crow bar to see if there is at least some slippage in the TC clutch. The other is as you suggested, remove the front drive shaft and see if the binding is gone. I'll check the parking brake issue.

Thanks for the reply.

from what you described i can honestly say that its probably the T-Case. The Viscous coupler is a very stiff part and is meant to hold or slip when needed. whats happening now is that yours is locked up (holding) constantly now like a full time 4wd system with welded gears would. Pull your front driveshaft and i'd bet that the problem is gone. and *IF* the Coupler is locked up like mine was, then your truck wont roll on a hill in park bc there wont be anything to splip and let it happen. The front d/s is only like 8 bolts on the TC cup and 2 on each u-joint strap at the front diff.

Note some report that the truck may move/roll in Park, so block the wheel during testing . . .[/QUOTE]

This is very true! I had a Mountaineer before this Explorer and took the front driveshaft out (can't remember why) and parked on the street on a small hill in front of my friends house. The next morning I went to leave and my Mounty was gone! About 5 minutes later I saw it down across the street in someones driveway! It was a tiny U driveway and it coasted in there just right, not on the grass at all! So yes they will roll, but very slowly, because I was out there prolly an hour after I got there and didn't notice it moved at all.

Back