1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Question on Corba 75 WX ST

Discussion in 'Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications' started by zhanx, January 2, 2005.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. zhanx

zhanx Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Up state NY
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2000 xls
      ok i am look to get a cb radio, last time i went to uwharrie, i couldn't hardly use the cell at all. True be told i dont like have yet another gadget in the dash of the x so i thought about getting a 75 WX St from Corba,
      http://www.digitallyunique.com/cbr75wxst.html

its small and i can toss it in the console. I only intend to use it for group trail runs and the like. Nothing else. Anyone got any expirence with this cd radio? or shouldi go with another and just do a stealth install into the center console. One last thing. Is mount it to the spare tire holder ok? (i have a custom rear bumper that holds the spare behind the hatch) or should i wait till my roof rack is done and mount it to the top that? (which i think i might rip off on a branch or something. Any help would be apprecaited.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. pickupman

pickupman Active Member

City, State:
      Cedar Rapids, IA
      2002 XLT
      the 75 is a decent little radio. I would reccomend putting in an external speaker (a 4" communications speaker mounted to the black duct against the console on the passanger side floor area works very well and stays OUT OF the way.), but overall, it's nice to be able to pull the little plug and put the radio in the console when you don't need it.

I had one in the explorer console in my ranger...

I pulled the passanger side power take off (ciggy lighter socket), and installed the plug there, with the "interface box" inside the console...then i can plug the radio into that, and i'm good to go. I also put the mic hang up clip on the console on the passanger side for convenience.

The spare tire carrier... it SHOULD work, as long as the carrier (or the part where you mount the antenna) is WELL GROUNDED (VERY low resistance between it and the chassis).

make sure the antenna's well tuned, and you should be good to go!!

4. zhanx

zhanx Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Up state NY
      2000 xls
      One question is sparked now.. how is the external speaker done? should i wait till ok or is it something that is easy to do? And for grounding no problem there, but what exactly is tuning? With i be tuning the length of the cable or the antenna?

5. jimbo74

jimbo74 Elite Exploder Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Nor*Cal
      2001, F150, XLT 4x4
      you tune the system with an swr meter..... it all works together for the tune.... most of the time, and external speacker plugs into the unit or the control box via liek a 1/8" stereo/mono plug

6. pickupman

pickupman Active Member

City, State:
      Cedar Rapids, IA
      2002 XLT
      speaker: yes, it connects to the "control" box via a 1/8" plug. most inexpensive communications speakers come with a 1/8" mono plug, which works fine (hit up you rlocal radio shack for the speaker...)

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76019
      here's the sticky from this forum

http://www.online-solutions.org/~theran00/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33
      and this is the one i wrote for www.therangerstation.com about 2 years ago. both contain pretty much the same info.

one thing to keep in mind.... if you end up buying a wilson fiberglass antenna, there is a grounding lug on the antenna which MUST be grounded. this will mess up the "continuity" measurements that xplr1 suggests. these measurements SHOULD be made before and after installing the coax and mount (no continuity between the shield and center conductor, and you SHOULD have continuity from end to end).

and again, don't be afraid to ask for help!

7. zhanx

zhanx Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Up state NY
      2000 xls
      huh? you got me LITS (lost in the sauce) on this. i'll have to get one of the locals to give me a hand on the install and read the guides like ten times to get it right.

8. pickupman

pickupman Active Member

City, State:
      Cedar Rapids, IA
      2002 XLT
      get your radio (I reccomend www.copper.com, they have the best prices).... then pick an antenna and mount (and coax) (or buy them at the same time)...also, i would reccomend buying an SWR meter (doesn't need to be terribly expensive, really), but if you knwo someone who has one, borrow theirs.

there is nothing WRONG with radio shack antennas, so if you want to go that route, they often have "kits" that come with an antenna, coax, and mount.

As for an antenna, if you want fiberglass, look at www.firestik.com they have some with a screw in the top for tuning, makes this job a lot easier...

Firestik also has antenna "kits" that come with everything you need.

then ask some questions, I'm sure others on the board are more than happy to help!!