Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Question on engine swap

Discussion in 'Modified 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by FordRacingFan, July 16, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. FordRacingFan

FordRacingFan New Member

City, State:
      Hayes, VA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2004 Eddie Baur V8
      Hi folks,

New to the forum, lots of great information! I appreciate it!

Just a quick question from a newbie, I have an 04 V8 Explorer with 125k on the odometer. It is running fine, but am planning on the future.

I also have a wrecked 03 Mustang with a 4.6 in it. I don't want to give up the motor if there is a chance it can work in the Explorer when the time comes to change it out. The Mustang motor only has 30K miles on it, underdrive pullies, cold air kit, etc.

How hard would it be to replace the Explorer motor with this one? Lots of mods need to be done? THanks for the help!

Dave

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. NHarris

NHarris Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Gillette, Wyoming
      04 Wrangler, 08 Ranger
      Hmm.... It should work but I'm not sure if it would bolt right up to the transmission. The cold air intake kit I dont think would work because its a different set-up.

4. jayton

jayton Active Member

City, State:
      Jefferson, GA
      02 XLT V8

Did you ever get your swap finished? What did you end up doing? I have been researching the same thing, using a 01-04 Mustang SOHC 4.6 in a 02 Explorer to replace a bad 4.6L.

5. Limited02

Limited02 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Gardner, KS
      '02 Limited V8
      It should be an easy swap. My father just recently swapped a 4.6 '01 Crown Vic motor into his '02 Explorer he just bought. The only thing he needed to really change was the injectors, as the Crown Vics were different, causing idle issues. All '01+ 4.6 2V's are the same, the Explorer's came with an aluminum block.

6. not8taxi

not8taxi Active Member

City, State:
      queens, ny
      02 XLT
      did he have any trouble bolting the transmission up to the crown victoria engine? the crown vic is a cast iron block?

7. Limited02

Limited02 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Gardner, KS
      '02 Limited V8
      Nope, no problems. He used the flywheel and torque converter from the original motor. Next time I talk to him, I'll ask what the biggest hurdle was, but it seemed pretty straight forward because even though the Crown Vic and Mustangs are iron and the Ex's are aluminum, the blocks are virtually identical. He may have also swapped the front dressing from the original motor to the Crown Vic motor.