Question on engine swap

FordRacingFan

Reaction score
City, State
Hayes, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Eddie Baur V8
Hi folks,

New to the forum, lots of great information! I appreciate it!

Just a quick question from a newbie, I have an 04 V8 Explorer with 125k on the odometer. It is running fine, but am planning on the future.

I also have a wrecked 03 Mustang with a 4.6 in it. I don't want to give up the motor if there is a chance it can work in the Explorer when the time comes to change it out. The Mustang motor only has 30K miles on it, underdrive pullies, cold air kit, etc.

How hard would it be to replace the Explorer motor with this one? Lots of mods need to be done? THanks for the help!

Dave

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmm.... It should work but I'm not sure if it would bolt right up to the transmission. The cold air intake kit I dont think would work because its a different set-up.

Hi folks,

New to the forum, lots of great information! I appreciate it!

Just a quick question from a newbie, I have an 04 V8 Explorer with 125k on the odometer. It is running fine, but am planning on the future.

I also have a wrecked 03 Mustang with a 4.6 in it. I don't want to give up the motor if there is a chance it can work in the Explorer when the time comes to change it out. The Mustang motor only has 30K miles on it, underdrive pullies, cold air kit, etc.

How hard would it be to replace the Explorer motor with this one? Lots of mods need to be done? THanks for the help!

Dave

Did you ever get your swap finished? What did you end up doing? I have been researching the same thing, using a 01-04 Mustang SOHC 4.6 in a 02 Explorer to replace a bad 4.6L.

Did you ever get your swap finished? What did you end up doing? I have been researching the same thing, using a 01-04 Mustang SOHC 4.6 in a 02 Explorer to replace a bad 4.6L.

It should be an easy swap. My father just recently swapped a 4.6 '01 Crown Vic motor into his '02 Explorer he just bought. The only thing he needed to really change was the injectors, as the Crown Vics were different, causing idle issues. All '01+ 4.6 2V's are the same, the Explorer's came with an aluminum block.

did he have any trouble bolting the transmission up to the crown victoria engine? the crown vic is a cast iron block?

did he have any trouble bolting the transmission up to the crown victoria engine? the crown vic is a cast iron block?

Nope, no problems. He used the flywheel and torque converter from the original motor. Next time I talk to him, I'll ask what the biggest hurdle was, but it seemed pretty straight forward because even though the Crown Vic and Mustangs are iron and the Ex's are aluminum, the blocks are virtually identical. He may have also swapped the front dressing from the original motor to the Crown Vic motor.

Back