Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Question Regarding Keyless Entry

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by 94WhiteExplorer, February 10, 2019.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. 94WhiteExplorer

94WhiteExplorer New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1994 Ford Explorer XLT
      Hello all,

I've been a little bit of a lurker since I bought my first 1994 Ford Explorer XLT in 2015. Since then, this forum has been a great resource for any of my Explorer related needs. Anyways, I've searched up keyless entry for the First Gen's and from what I can tell, my Ex does not have it. However, I am looking to add keyless entry to mine and would like to use the same style of remotes that would have came with the truck from the dealer, if possible. Is this a possibility, and if so, would anyone be so kind to give me any insight on this? I could not find any information on this, so forgive me if this topic has already been addressed. Anyways, I am hopeful that someone here may have some good advice on this matter. Thanks in advance!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      Welcome. If your truck has the keyless entry module, then you can simply buy the remotes from eBay and program them in a minute. The Limited's all had it, part of the alarm system, but I think others did too in the 93/94 models. Find out if the truck has the module, I forgot where those would be in 1st gens.

If it doesn't have it, buying an aftermarket alarm system is the next best choice.

4. 94WhiteExplorer

1994 Ford Explorer XLT
      Thanks for the reply! However, I do not have the module. Seeing as the limited models had them, would it be possible to take one from a junkyard and install it with mine, perhaps picking up some eBay remotes and programming them? I just installed a keyles entry system on one of my other cars, so I have no issue doing the work. I just think it would be neat to have the original remotes for the year.

5. CDW6212R

CDW6212R Hauls the mail. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Knoxville, TN
      98 Limited AWD
      I've forgotten how the 1st gen wiring and the alarm/module was arranged. Hopefully someone else will chime in. Adding the keypad isn't hard to do, but the wiring may be.

6. toypaseo

toypaseo Flunked daycare Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      outside shovelling snow
      ................ 96 XLT ™
      If you have power locks, I would consider just adding an aftermarket keyless entry unit.

I had a co-worker with a mid-90's Chevy Caprice ex-cop car, with power locks, and he just added an aftermarket Audiovox keyless entry to it. Super easy, and it worked great.

• Useful Useful x 1
    7. 94WhiteExplorer

1994 Ford Explorer XLT
      Appreciate the input. I do have power locks, and have wired keyless entry systems before. Figured I'd see about using an age appropriate Ford style keyless entry remote before putting in an aftermarket system. Thanks!