1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Questions about 3rd Generation Explorers

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by KJB, December 23, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. KJB

KJB Member

City, State:
      Ohio
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      `03 FX4II
      I have a `96 v6 Explorer that has 225,000 miles on it and it's still very dependable. I also have a `01 Windstar with 151,000 miles and it too is very dependable. Next spring I'll probably get rid of the Windstar and I'm thinking about getting a 2002 or up Explorer. How much have the newer Explorers changed and what should I be aware of when I start looking?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. RedEB

RedEB Active Member

City, State:
      Portland, OR
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      97 XLT
      The 2002+ Explorers have an independent rear suspension as opposed to the live axle 2001 and below have. The IRS supposedly improves handling and ride quality though I don't think I would necessarily do any heavy 4 wheeling with it. I have heard that it is a great truck and very well built! THe interiors are very nice and the V8 4.6L is a great motor. Keep us updated on what you get!!!!