Questions about my new purchase- 98' Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Questions about my new purchase- 98' Explorer

nhoeven

Reaction score
City, State
Nebraska
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey guys! I'm the new guy in town here on the forums and I recently purchased a 98' Explorer XLT 4x4 4.0L V6. No upgrades have been done, it is stock besides some interior work. I don't have a huge budget but I was wondering what I should do to it to make it a somewhat decent off-road vehicle. I am only expecting to be mudding and going through snow generally, no rocks or climbing.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick!

Tires. A suspension lift is another option but if you need it, you know it from lack of clearance.

Yep tires shocks and a little lift. You can fit 31x10.5s on stock height. I have 30x9.5 all terrains and it looks ok. Should have done a 31x10.5 mud terrain style tire but live and learn.

Clearance is a huge problem for me as my buddies and I go off roading a lot here. With the right style tire and common sense you can go a long way in these things.

Tires. When you need shocks, upgrade at that time. Everything else gets expensive.

Back