Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

questions about new speakers...

Discussion in 'Explorer Audio & Navigation' started by agentq232, September 28, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. agentq232

agentq232 New Member

City, State:
      San Rafael, CA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1998 XLT
      Hi new member here.
      Just bought a used 1998 XLT V8 explorer with 4 doors. Its very nice I love it.
      Now the question is, what size speakers does the door take and what kind of speakers should i replace them with? It sounds pretty good, and Im not sure what audio system is in there, the guy never said what it was. I can look through the records I got from the transaction to see if I can dig out the info. Also is it pretty easy to replace the speakers yourself?
      I got a HU from my old car I can put in, an alpine 40wx4.
      Is that better than the factory cd + tape. I also got a 6 disc changer in the console.

Thanks!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. agentq232

agentq232 New Member

City, State:
      San Rafael, CA
      1998 XLT
      wow Im sorry, I just read the sticky at the top and it looks like I have premium audio in my 98.
      Anyone got pics on taking apart the door?

4. MrExplorer

MrExplorer Active Member

City, State:
      Painesville.OH
      97 Sport
      Sticky at the top??
      Are you refering to this page? It gives speaker sizes and how to remove the door

5. aldive

aldive Elite In Memoriam

1999 XLT
      You have 6 x 8 speakers.

What is best? What sounds best to you is the best for you' no one brand or speaker is best. However, do give consideration to component speakers.

Good luck.....

6. MrExplorer

MrExplorer Active Member

City, State:
      Painesville.OH
      97 Sport
      oops.. It tells how to remove the door panel. I recomend using the tool if you arent experienced with removing the fastners with a screwdriver. Changing the door speakers will show an improvment over the factory speakers. Which ones to buy is a whole debatable thread in its self. My preference is the INFINITY KAPPA 572.5cf , they can be found on ebay for around $80 a pair. As far as the HU you can put your alpine in it with a adaptor. I used the Scosche FD1327 and it was a nice clean install. The wire harness adaptor is Scosche FD16. I mail ordered them from http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/SCOFD1327B

I believe if you dont have a factory sub in the X you wont have many problems installing the new HU.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25999

Good luck

7. agentq232

agentq232 New Member

City, State:
      San Rafael, CA
      1998 XLT
      Hmm Ok.
      I dont know about component speakers, they look good and all but where would I put the tweeters?
      And where could I hide those crossovers?
      Infinity sounds good to me, which ones should I look at (component or regular). And also what about an amp to drive them. I just won 200 bucks so the budget is upped some.

8. jonny 5

jonny 5 Active Member

City, State:
      Seekonk, MA 02771 (home), N. Dartmouth, MA (college)
      '98 XLT SOHC
      A few people have the pioneer TS-A6867 6x8 3-ways. And they love 'em. The only real way to test is to go to stores and test them out.

9. MrExplorer

MrExplorer Active Member

City, State:
      Painesville.OH
      97 Sport
      The ones i talked about have the tweeter allready mounted in the speaker. The crossover is no big deal, easily mounted behind the speaker....

10. nonameputs

nonameputs Active Member

City, State:
      Danville, IL
      '97 XL
      I agree with you jonny, but what they sound like in the store wall at ear level is not what they will sound like in your car door at knee level. The only way to really find the ones you love is to put them in your car. If you've got an EQ (at least 5 bands) then it really doesn't matter which ones you get because you can fine tune them to whatever sound you want. I would look mostly at the specs for each speaker and the price then go from there. I have the pioneer 6x8's in my X and they sound awsome. The only EQ I use is the one built into my sony in-dash, which has 7 bands. It also depends on what else you have in your system. If you've got a sub or two then I wouldn't worry too much about how low the speakers can go because they won't ever go that far down anyway. That's just my two cents.

11. MrExplorer

MrExplorer Active Member

City, State:
      Painesville.OH
      97 Sport
      I agree that the Pioneer's sound fine also. I have them in my ranger. Actually the reference series of infinity is a more bang for your buck over the Pioneer speakers( i have had both the 2 way and 3 way and prefer the 2 way). But then again if your not planning on adding an amp and sub later on any of them will be an improvement over stock speakers.

12. aldive

aldive Elite In Memoriam

1999 XLT
      Tweeters can be mounted in many locations. I taped mine to many places and tested the sound' I decided to mount mine at ear level on the A piller,

The crossovers are mounted under the front part of the console on my /99.

I am very happy with the system.

13. agentq232

agentq232 New Member

City, State:
      San Rafael, CA
      1998 XLT
      Wouldn't I need some sort of adapter for the speaker to mount it in the 6x8 slot in the car? On ebay it says they are 5x7 and 6x8.

Also anyone know where i can find some tools to do this job, I check out the door and found the locks that hold it on and now i cant get 1 back on.

Thanks!

14. MrExplorer

MrExplorer Active Member

City, State:
      Painesville.OH
      97 Sport
      If im correct the 5x7\6x8 will fit fine in the X without any problems.Ive heard that sometimes you have to drill 2 more holes for the screws becasue they dont line up.
      I havent had that poroblem. They have fit fine in every other Ford ive owned that has had that speaker size. You can pick up the removal tool at any autozone or pep boys ect ect.....