Quick grinding, but only once after truck has been sitting... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Quick grinding, but only once after truck has been sitting...

MistahYebba

Reaction score
City, State
Clearwater, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer XLT
After I got front suspension work done on my 2005 Ford Explorer XLT, it soon developed an interesting grinding condition. Here are the details:

• The truck has been sitting in the same position parked for anywhere between 5-20+ minutes.
  • Start the truck normally and put it into "Drive".
  • Drive the truck normally.
  • *errr* quick grind.

The grind ALWAYS occurs at the same exact speed, which is around 13MPH on the gauge. It's a very short and metallic grind lasting only a second. I can feel it in the pedal. It only happens ONCE each drive and NEVER happens again until the truck sits parked again for 5-20+ minutes.

Any ideas or tips are extremely appreciated!

-Michael

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does the sound come from behind the dashboard.

Does the sound come from behind the dashboard.

Hi, drdoom,

It sounds to me like it comes from the front left wheel area... however, I suppose that sort of means its coming from behind the dashboard, yes. What have you got in mind?

-Michael

Michael the roll stability control makes sound when it activates, from the dash/firewall area. That doesn't seem like your situation. Sorry, I was taking a guess.

Hi everyone,

Happy Easter!

I am coming back on this post because I have noticed another symptom.

So, still, this is a permanent behavior of the truck now, until this is diagnosed and repaired.

There is a super short grinding sound from the driver’s side wheel which emits once you get going a bit. It only happens once, super quick, and never happens again until the park sits for about 30 minutes.

The new symptom I noticed is that the truck is giving a quick beep and flashing “Check AdvTrac” for only a split second (you can barely see it) once I cut off or cut on the engine.

I read online and saw that this points to wheel bearings, potentially.

Any input, y’all?

Yes, I sure do. Why do you ask?

I'd bet dollars to donuts its the wheel bearing associated with the wheel that is throwing the ABS/Advancetrak code (which will be stored in the OBDII system, which you can read with an appropriate code reader/software).

How many miles on this truck? Original wheel bearings all around?

140k, and yes, original wheel bearings.

Should I replace the bad one, or all?

Back