1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Quick Hella 4000 question...

Discussion in 'Performance Lighting' started by DesertSpive, September 25, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. DesertSpive

DesertSpive Active Member

City, State:
      Huntington Beach, CA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '02 Ranger FX4
      I think I am going to get the 4000 Euro beams for my Ranger. Does anyone have pictures of them on their trucks? if so, please post. I think the 4000s are awesome lights, just want to make sure they don't look too big.

Also, the way my light bar is set up, I am going to run them pendulum (upside down). I was told by Hella that all you have to do is rotate the reflector 180 degrees in the housing. Can anyone tell me if the cover can be run upside down (so that it would be right side up on my application). And lastly, anyone have pictures of the locks that keep someone from ripping them off?

--Sean

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Rob Slade

Rob Slade Active Member

City, State:
      Wake Forest, NC
      03 Tacoma DoubleCab
      PIAA makes the locks and you can probably see them on their website. As to the size, they are big. I wanted them, but they wouldn't have allowed any air to my radiator (I was going to put them on my brushguard). Good luck.

4. mattadams

mattadams Tall Man Little Escape Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Longmont, CO
      2010 Escape XLT
      the reflector should be able to be run upside, thats the way I have many of my PIAA's set up and it is required to ensure no water gets trapped inside, proper beam pattern, etc.
      I'm not sure what light locks you can get for the Hellas, because I'm not sure what size the stud is for them. PIAA makes light locks which are made by mcgard (same company that makes a lot of lug nut locks), if you can find the bolt size should find someone that has them. If they are 10mm studs, I've got a bunch of spare light locks sitting around...

5. aqs789

aqs789 Member

City, State:
      NY
      '98 Sport 4x4 SOHC
      Here is a pic of the hella 4000s HID. They are pretty heavy so I had to reinforce the surface they are mounted to with a 1/8" steel plate so they don't vibrate when I hit a bump. As for mounting them upside, I'm not sure if you are getting the HID or the halogen 4000s. But it looks pretty hard to rotate the lens 180 degrees with the HIDs because of the thick gauge wire which houses the bulb doesn't give you enough length to work with depending on where you mount the ballasts and stuffing the remaining wire behind the lens inside the light housing. I use the piaa mcguard locks, which fits perfectly.
      [​IMG]

6. DesertSpive

DesertSpive Active Member

City, State:
      Huntington Beach, CA
      '02 Ranger FX4
      aqs,

Thanks for the info. I am getting the Halogens, so rotating the reflector won't be a problem. Sounds like I might have to modify the mount to make them work, though. I can only image how heavy they are...

--Sean

7. Naga Sadow

Naga Sadow Active Member

City, State:
      Henrietta/Buffalo, Ny
      '93 XLT