Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

R12 compressor replacement

Discussion in 'A/C & Heater systems - HVAC' started by Jason94sport, July 15, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. Jason94sport

Jason94sport Well-Known Member

City, State:
    South FL
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    02 Sport 2WD 5 speed
    It happened today. My compressor seized up. Horrible noises with the Ac on.
    For replacements, do I need a R12 specific one? Or can I use the many replacements that are for 134? I have no intention of converting it.

Thanks

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. ranger7ltr

ranger7ltr Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Great State of Texas
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1999 Sport
    A compressor is a compressor...

What matters is the oil used in the system and that oil is compatible with the refrigerant you use...But you need to chaeck the rest of the system for black death and see if you need to replace the condensor as well as the accumluator, the orifice tube and hoses as well as the compressor...

If you stay with R12 mineral oil is what is used with that refrigerant...Personally I like using Polyalpha A+ which is a synthetic oil compatible with all refrigerants...

I sure hope you don't find any melted grey or black teflon on the orifice tube...If you do you cannot flush that crap out of the condensor no matter how much you try...

We Support Our Troops!