• Register Today It's free!

RABS Modulator Bypass

qtrmill

Reaction score
City, State
Freeport, Bahamas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
Something potentially deadly happened to my X so I just wanted to run it by everyone to see if it is common...

So the other month I took off down the driveway, press the brakes to stop and I was just met with mush under my foot. I stopped, barely. Checked the fluid, fine - no RABS light, nothing. Bled the system and found that I had NO pressure getting thru the modulator valve under the driverside firewall... Later that week, after driving everywhere VERY gently...pulled off the RABS module and pulled it apart.

The valves inside were pretty rusty and couldn't really salvage anything. Being in the Bahamas, there was no chance of getting a new one for anything short of $500 - sooo, I got creative with brass brake fittings and just made a union between the supply hoses. Total cost, $12.50

I have read of other people having issues with RABS but usually resulting in the system still allowing braking pressure to the rear wheels. I was just amazed that something like ABS that's supposed to help reduce accidents, almost inadvertently led me to have one. Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pics?

pic

As u can see, I put the modulator valve back into place so it kept the RABS light from thinking there was something missing...

P1010067.png

Might be my phone but the pic is not showing up.I think my is going bad to because every now and then my brakes go to mush and I can't stop so was planning on bypassing it to,just tryn to get some ideas

Got it,that's simple figure it would be harder than that

fixed it, my link was bad...

no man, it was wicked easy... took me longer to figure out which male/female connectors to get from the parts store, than to put it on the truck...

Did it fit perfect or did you have to massage the lines a little.would happen to remember the name of all the pieces,maken it even easier for me: )

this is the exact problem i had. from what i have read and now experiinced the aftermarked RABS module is prone to rusting. mine was so bad it would leave a puddle of fluid everywhere. it was leaking from the bleeing valve it had. i bypassed it and made my own write up. i dont like ABS anyhow.

I don't remember the size of the fittings. I just pulled the module off and took it to a parts guy who matched up the input/output lines in brass fixtures. Easy peasy. I'll have a look for the invoice tomorrow for the exact sizes I used...

Oh, and no massaging neccesary. They're simple to
find parts. :)

can we get these fitting sizes pls?

i had same problem with my '92 xlt,2wd.no back brakes at all.no fluid would go thru the modulator.took it off,tried to blow air thru it.no good.i found this website last nite,just by googling ford explorer forums.i just did the bypass.

found exactly what i needed at a napa store in rocky mount,nc(about 13 miles from home).

it's the same fittings that look like the picture above. parts are brass fittings. part# wh 3300x4--1 @ $2.49,wh 202x4x4--2 @ $1.69.total fix,tax included $6.32.

this is a great site!!!! hope this helps future bypassers!

i had same problem with my '92 xlt,2wd.no back brakes at all.no fluid would go thru the modulator.took it off,tried to blow air thru it.no good.i found this website last nite,just by googling ford explorer forums.i just did the bypass.found exactly what i needed at a napa store in rocky mount,nc(about 13 miles from home).it's the same fittings that look like the picture above.parts are brass fittings. part #wh 3300x4--1@$2.49,wh 202x4x4--2@$1.69.total fix,tax included $6.32.this is a great site!!!!hope this helps future bypassers!

Can you give me the number to that place(local NAPA) so I can call and get the exact parts but translated to the part numbers to my local store...these guys here are up in the night they dont have a clue. If I had the sizes and thread I would be in like Flin. Sorry thanks!

I replaced my RABS hydraulic unit, I bled the system and my Brake light and my abs light are still on, and rear wheels lock up not to fun when you live in the mountains of Snowy Utah any suggestions? 92 X 4X4.

Hmm, not sure what that might be... Speed sensors at the rear axle? Bad sensor in the brake fluid reservoir? Funny thing is, I bypassed the whole system, left the RABS module in place and the ABS light still works normally. The brakes lock up but at least they work now... Wish I could be of some assistance. :-(

Back