• Register Today It's free!

Racheting Noise In Reverse

alohamonte

Reaction score
City, State
Glendale, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer 4.0 4x4
Like the title says, I'm getting a racheting type mechanical/metallic noise in reverse that increases with speed.

My instinct is that its' either the transmission or a u-joint. Any thoughts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'll add some more information ...

In drive, moving forward it doesnt make any noise.

In nuetral, engine off, rolling backwards it doesnt make any noise.

In reverse, engine on, holding brake and rev'ing to about 1500rpm, no noise

In reverse, engine on, idle speed 2-3 mph, racheting noise that accelerates with speed

Check u-joints, more then likely one of them had moisture get inside and rusted the needles causing this, I had the same problem with mine a couple weeks ago.

You'll have to unbolt and take the caps off to really check them, I didn't know until I did this, there wasn't any play but when I took them apart they were rusted and one needle was busted inside the cap.

yeah the only way to check it is to remove it to pull the caps off. at that point I should just replace it since a ujoint is like 10 bucks.

i have not done this job before. it seems straight forward. just 4 bolts on each end then hammer out the old u joint?

sounds like a 5 min job :D

I wanted to post a resolution to this in case someone searches for a similar issue in the future.

i took it to the shop, and the problem was with the transmission. reverse was not fully engaging, it was between gears, resulting in the racheting noise.

the fix was simple, adjustment to the transmission linkage. the cable was binding somehow. noise is gone and shifts are smooth once more.

i have never heard of this with an automatic, but I learned something new.

Aloha,
Thanks for coming back with the fix. You may have helped a lot of others. A lot of posters once they get it fixed don't bother to come back and let us know what it was.

Ed

Aloha,
Thanks for coming back with the fix. You may have helped a lot of others. A lot of posters once they get it fixed don't bother to come back and let us know what it was.

Ed

+1 more Thank You!

Back