• Register Today It's free!

Rack & Pinion

mskag

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Exporer Sport
I've been having serious problems with bump steer and nibble at low speeds, and wander at high speeds. The front end has been aligned and I've bleed the power steering as prescribed. I'll be going back to the dealer this week since all this started after a tie rod was replaced.

My question is, could the seals on the rack have been damaged during the tie rod exchange? How do I convince the dealer to inspect the rack, and what needs to be looked at?

I could really use some advice at this point. My sport has only 15000 miles on it. Thanks....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

tie rod replacements are so simple that you'd probably have to "try" to damage the seals on the rack to cause any damage... so i doubt it. especially on a 15000 mile vehicle im sure they came off like butter.

however, you have 15000 miles- just tell them to check out the rack. it'd be covered unter warranty anyway so it doesnt matter if they broke it or you.

Thanks Sk1er17! This all stared as a problem when doing left turns and getting a feeling in the steering wheel as if there was play. They narrowed it down to the tie rod. However the problem is still there, and additionally the problem that occured after replacing the tie rod.

I suspect that it was the rack all along, and maybe it got worse when they messed with it.

They probably don't want to mess with the rack and may give you grief about it. That sucker isn't easy to work on!

Jason, everything I've read about it lately, says you're right. It's going to be a battle of wills I'm sure. However, it's been in multiple times, and if they won't, they can have the entire truck back. It's too bad, this has been my second ex sport, and I've bought three vehicles from these guys in the past. It's the blus oval guys and their cost cutting bean counters that has made the dealers pucker up! Not too mention closing down the only Jaguar plant that should be makeing cat cars.

Back