Radiator, AC Condensor, PS Cooler and Tranny Cooler, which is which, w/ Pics! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radiator, AC Condensor, PS Cooler and Tranny Cooler, which is which, w/ Pics!

Recoil Rob

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
My truck is a 2002 AWD XLT. I did not get the tow package, it came with the 1-1/4" Class II hitch. I have added a 2" Class III hitch with a bolt on kit from Hidden Hitch.

I'm in the market for a larger fishing boat and started doing research about how much I could tow and found out that, other the rear axle being different, if I had a tranny coole, I could pull more than the listed 3500 pounds limited by the Class 11 hitch.

First we have this little beauty, mounted to the frame right behind the bumper, easily visible by getting down and looking, this is the Power Steering Cooler, about 12 inches long...
IMG_7833.jpg

Next, if we open the hood and remove the 2 black plastic shrouds that run about 30 inches from side to side (they just pull off) we see the radiator (front of vehicle is bottom of photo).

IMG_7835.jpg

Looking down in we see the AC condensor with the paper tag in the front (Googling the number on the tag brought up the info for the condensor) and...

IMG_7836.jpg

...between the two, down in the bottom is the Tranny cooler.

IMG_7837.jpg

Here's the hoses from the tranny entering the cooler, this is from under the truck, starboard side, looking up.

IMG_7846.jpg

Now I know I can go close to 5000lbs with the new hitch..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My truck is a 2002 AWD XLT. I did not get the tow package, it came with the 1-1/4" Class II hitch. I have added a 2" Class III hitch with a bolt on kit from Hidden Hitch.

I'm in the market for a larger fishing boat and started doing research about how much I could tow and found out that, other the rear axle being different, if I had a tranny coole, I could pull more than the listed 3500 pounds limited by the Class 11 hitch.

First we have this little beauty, mounted to the frame right behind the bumper, easily visible by getting down and looking, this is the Power Steering Cooler, about 12 inches long...
View attachment 168486

Next, if we open the hood and remove the 2 black plastic shrouds that run about 30 inches from side to side (they just pull off) we see the radiator (front of vehicle is bottom of photo).

View attachment 168490

Looking down in we see the AC condensor with the paper tag in the front (Googling the number on the tag brought up the info for the condensor) and...

View attachment 168491

...between the two, down in the bottom is the Tranny cooler.

View attachment 168492

Here's the hoses from the tranny entering the cooler, this is from under the truck, starboard side, looking up.

View attachment 168503

Now I know I can go close to 5000lbs with the new hitch..

Be sure to install a 7 pin connector and get a trailer brake controller. Many states have laws about trailer brakes. In Texas trailers over 3000lbs require trailer brakes.

As I said in your other thread, the main thing is you only want to do towing with a 3.73 axle and not the 3.55. If you're doing serious towing I'd invest in swapping the rings and pinions to 4.10

1fv69d.jpg

4ibfjr.jpg

Maybe a 4000 boat/trailer 1-2 times a week 10 miles to the dock and back, I should be OK. If the trailer brakes are electric I have to get the controller, if they're surge brakes I won't, but thanks for the advice.

I think you'd be OK if you did nothing but the hitch.

A heavy tow rating assumes pulling a big box at freeway speed for long periods of time.

Boats have way less wind resitance, a 10 mile trip with no hills is just not going to get the fluids hot.

It's about 500 ft drop to sea level over the10 mile trip to the water.

Just put a real hitch on and trailer brakes and enjoy yourself.
I bet if you monitored the temps there would be almost no difference between unloaded and loaded for 10 miles.

People are going to freak out at this advice. Of course exceeding towing capacity is not recommended but I'm pretty sure physics is on my side.

May be a stupid question but for Techguru, if I was to upgrade the axle to a 3.73 do I just do the rear or does something need to be done to the front differential also?

Each diff must be matching ratio.

Back