Radiator fan bearing noise 2016 Models | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radiator fan bearing noise 2016 Models

wilexplorer

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT
Hello,
So I have a 2016 XLT with about 4k miles now.

I noticed that when I turn the vehicle off, as the fan (driver side) is slowing down you can hear bearing noise. If I manually spin it I can also hear it.

I took it to the dealership, they claimed they replaced the Fan Assembly.

But two or three days later I have the same exact noise. I was able to record a short video of the noise.
Went back to the dealership, and showed it to them. The tech and the adviser heard the noise. They cannot believe that new fan still make the noise. So they said they will contact Ford tech line to find out if this is a common issue.

I was wondering if you had similar issue. I'm new to Explorers so I don't know if this is the same part to previous models, but if it is then more people may chime in.

Thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello,
So I have a 2016 XLT with about 4k miles now.

I noticed that when I turn the vehicle off, as the fan (driver side) is slowing down you can hear bearing noise. If I manually spin it I can also hear it.

I took it to the dealership, they claimed they replaced the Fan Assembly.

But two or three days later I have the same exact noise. I was able to record a short video of the noise.
Went back to the dealership, and showed it to them. The tech and the adviser heard the noise. They cannot believe that new fan still make the noise. So they said they will contact Ford tech line to find out if this is a common issue.

I was wondering if you had similar issue. I'm new to Explorers so I don't know if this is the same part to previous models, but if it is then more people may chime in.

Thank you

Aren't you ust the bearer of bad news; because I am also hearing the same "winding" down noise (thought it was the turbo)!!!
For my first ever Ford product at a $50K price tag; these issues are quite depressing.

All manufactures have issues....I understand it can be frustrating.

Mine has the same issue.

You should hear my GE dishwasher. It is less than 1 year old (Feb15), had the pump replaced because of a loud howling noise in September 15, and it is howling again......this isn't the bottom line model either.

All manufactures have issues....I understand it can be frustrating.

Mine has the same issue.

You should hear my GE dishwasher. It is less than 1 year old (Feb15), had the pump replaced because of a loud howling noise in September 15, and it is howling again......this isn't the bottom line model either.

I'm staying positive :)

Update:
Just finished reading 7 pages of post in the F150 Forum and it appears to be a common problem with the 3.5EB engine.
Fan assembly gets replaced and the noise is gone, in which some don't encounter the issue again and some are on their third fan replacement :eek:

Update:
Just finished reading 7 pages of post in the F150 Forum and it appears to be a common problem with the 3.5EB engine.
Fan assembly gets replaced and the noise is gone, in which some don't encounter the issue again and some are on their third fan replacement :eek:

well ,mine was replaced but noise appear three days later. Mine is the NA engine, but I believe they share the fan.
They said they are contacting Ford to see if this is common....

Update:

Thank you for mentioning the F-150 Forum. They had a video with exactly my issue. There is no doubt that is the fan, I just can't believe that I would get 2 defective fans...

I think my fan is making a similar noise.

Can you post a link to the forum posts? Can you also upload your video to YouTube?

Thanks

I heard our fans making noise too yesterday. I went outside when my wife got home today and you can hear them squeal as they come to a stop. I spun them manually and they both make noise. The left is a duller squeal and the right is a higher pitch. Not easy to spin them. They are sharp and not much room in there. I am only at 430 miles. Isn't there someone from Ford Service on this board? We need to PM them and get them on this topic. Sounds like a really high percentage have the problem, so chances of getting a bad replacement is pretty high. Ford needs to work with the fan supplier to fix their problem.

it's like hypnosis or something. This weekend I hear our's doing it too.

3.5 NA motor.

Haven't heard it on my 16 but my 13 did this.

I have been trying to upload it. But I keep getting an error from youtube.
I'll give it a few more tries..

Bang! I was able to uploaded.
Search Youtube for 2016 ford explorer radiator fan noise
there are two of them.

Thank you for posting it here.

Honestly, on the video sounds louder.

But it can be heard very clear.

OK, so I went to the dealership for 2nd time.

They compare it to a brand new one and said that this is normal.

I say it might be normal, because it is common, but this is a defect.

This sucks.....

First time with a Ford. Last time with a Ford.
Bought a new vehicle that sounds like a 15 year old vehicle .

Yep, I figured that they would say that. It seems that most are doing it. Mine sounds just like that, but maybe not quite as loud. They need a redesign because just swapping them out won't fix it if they are all doing it.

Where is the service person that is on this website? They should investigate this.

Fan Bearing Noise

Tricia, what can you do about this?

A $50,000 vehicle should not sound like this when you shut it off. It is embarrassing to show off your new vehicle to friends and have this sound come from under the hood when you shut it down. Not a good way to inspire confidence in Ford quality.

Thanks.

FordService provides a 'go between' service between the customer (us) and the Regional Customer Service Manager who then works with the customer and dealer. That is all. It isn't their responsibility to take vehicle issues to Ford engineers etc. Perhaps they may have info as to how you would go about that.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you are referring to the Ford rep (FordService) that monitors the Forum, that is not something that they do. It isn't their job.

Peter

Okay, well that isn't helpful then. I guess we need a FordWarranty person on here.

Back