Radiator fan bearing noise 2016 Models | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radiator fan bearing noise 2016 Models

yeah but it also might not seize up for 250K miles either.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi all, new girl here. Found this forum in a Google search while trying to find out if I'm the only one with a squealing radiator fan on my brand new Explorer. Apparently not! I first noticed the noise at shutoff with about 3000 miles on my car. It became the norm during idle at around 3200 miles. I put my truck in the shop Tuesday, and they supposedly replaced the fan assembly. Last night I got the truck back and it was quiet at the dealership. I came home and parked in my garage, only to realize that the squealing is louder than ever. I'm so disappointed! I did a little research, and apparently these fans are defective and possibly causing the engine to overheat, and in some extreme cases, fire. I filed a complaint with the NHTSA. I will be calling my dealership again today. I encourage you all to do so as well so that they may investigate this issue.

Hi all, new girl here. Found this forum in a Google search while trying to find out if I'm the only one with a squealing radiator fan on my brand new Explorer. Apparently not! I first noticed the noise at shutoff with about 3000 miles on my car. It became the norm during idle at around 3200 miles. I put my truck in the shop Tuesday, and they supposedly replaced the fan assembly. Last night I got the truck back and it was quiet at the dealership. I came home and parked in my garage, only to realize that the squealing is louder than ever. I'm so disappointed! I did a little research, and apparently these fans are defective and possibly causing the engine to overheat, and in some extreme cases, fire. I filed a complaint with the NHTSA. I will be calling my dealership again today. I encourage you all to do so as well so that they may investigate this issue.
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Is yours also an XLT? It would be helpful if you added the 'trim' level (Base, XLT, etc) to your profile so it shows in the margin. Thanks and good luck.

Peter

Is yours also an XLT? It would be helpful if you added the 'trim' level (Base, XLT, etc) to your profile so it shows in the margin. Thanks and good luck.

Peter

It is an XLT. I'll have to edit my profile later. Sorry! Crazy 2 year old running around in this house! :rolleyes:

It is an XLT. I'll have to edit my profile later. Sorry! Crazy 2 year old running around in this house! :rolleyes:
Thanks. So far, according to the posts, this issue seems to be affecting mainly XLT and Sport models.

Peter

Thanks. So far, according to the posts, this issue seems to be affecting mainly XLT and Sport models.

Peter

Hey Peter. Your opinion or another member knowledgeable in the area of TSB's. What would usually entail a manufacturer deciding when a fault as what seems to be a real concern as this one would cause them to act?

Peter

I would say those are the most popular models and that is why.

I would say those are the most popular models and that is why.
That did occur to me Jason but there have also been many Platinums sold as well going by the number of posts. Waiting for the first complaint from those owners.:)

Peter

Update

So my explorer has been at the dealership for about a week. I received a call today, keep in mind this is their 4th time trying to fix the issue, and they cannot figure out how to fix the issue. So I'm waiting on a Ford Field Tech or whatever the service advisor called the person, to take a look at it. The person is supposed to be here by tomorrow or Thurday. If the field tech can't fix it or find a fan that operates correctly then they are going to initiate a buyback.

Our 2016 Limited has the fan bearing noise. I just noticed it a couple of days ago, when I got home at the same time that my wife arrived. Our 2016 Sport is fine, and I am assuming that it is the same fan? The Limited has 2400 miles, and the Sport about 6500 miles.

Our 2016 Limited has the fan bearing noise. I just noticed it a couple of days ago, when I got home at the same time that my wife arrived. Our 2016 Sport is fine, and I am assuming that it is the same fan? The Limited has 2400 miles, and the Sport about 6500 miles.
I can't said positively that they are the same fans but in looking at fordparts.com, the part number they designated to the cooling fan for the 2016 model is the same as for the 2011 model.

Peter

Took our 2016 Sport in to the dealer for a couple of minor issues and also the fan bearing noise. The dealer couldn't replicate the sound. When we picked it up the service rep was pointing out a few items under the hood when we stopped the engine and the noise started. He ordered a new fan to be installed this weekend. Hopefully this takes care of the problem.

Took our 2016 Sport in to the dealer for a couple of minor issues and also the fan bearing noise. The dealer couldn't replicate the sound. When we picked it up the service rep was pointing out a few items under the hood when we stopped the engine and the noise started. He ordered a new fan to be installed this weekend. Hopefully this takes care of the problem.
For some reason this is starting to become an issue with the 2016 models.

Peter

And I will tag in and say my wife's 2016 XLT is doing the same thing!

My wife's 2016 XLT is also making this noise. We've had the fan replaced once already about two months after we bought it. About a week after replacing the first fan, the second fan started making the same noise again.

Update

So the field tech or engineer came out and basically he couldn't fix it. So he told the dealership that the fan will need to be redesigned and that they can have the redesign out in two weeks. This isn't a guarantee it will work and it looks like I would be testing it. Since I'm interested in getting my money back and not doing field testing of a redesigned fan in a car I'm paying for I probably will not be testing it. But I figured I would update you guys on what is going on with my case. I'm not sure if the buyback request will go through but I just can't continue going back and forth especially since this has been going on since November.

Mine does this too. 2016 Sport with 1,7xx miles.

Doesn't really bother me. My fiance's Sonata does it and my Infiniti G37S did it as well.

Interestingly enough, my husband's 2015 F-150 XLT 2.7L Ecoboost just hit 3k miles the other day. I noticed that it is squealing at idle and cool down today as well. I'm going to chalk it up to a terrible plastic on metal fan bearing design. I don't plan to quit complaining to Ford about it, but I'm not as worried as I was at first.

I really do love my Explorer. I just wish it wouldn't squeak. I've owned 3 F-150s over the years, and never a major problem. I'm hoping they recall the vehicles and fix this. It's disappointing.

as a side note, mine started making the noise about 5 days after the fans were replaced.

Also, try to spin the fan by hand.
My dealer gave us the "We cannot replicate..." So my wife open the hood and manually spun the fan so they could hear the bearing noise. I had prepared my wife as I expected this to happen .
Right now, every time we shut it down will do the noise. Unless the fan was not running.
Unfortunately for Ford, people who hear the noise say they wont be buying the Explorer even that they like the design...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford Reps, please join in and start helping us track this issue!

Back