Radiator fan bearing noise 2016 Models | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radiator fan bearing noise 2016 Models

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just so you know, i deal with a Ford rep from Michigan.
The only way they will do something is if a lot of people take their vehicles to the dealership. The dealer can't keep replacing bad fans with bad fans.

New member. Just purchased my 2016 Platinum last week. It has 400 miles on it. Just today after shutting it off I heard a whistling sound for about 3 seconds after shut off and then it goes away. This seems to be a common problem among many posts on this thread. Any suggestions on what I should do? Thanks

New member. Just purchased my 2016 Platinum last week. It has 400 miles on it. Just today after shutting it off I heard a whistling sound for about 3 seconds after shut off and then it goes away. This seems to be a common problem among many posts on this thread. Any suggestions on what I should do? Thanks
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
A 'whistling' sounds seems to be a little different then what most members have reported here. If you start the EXplorer and turn it off after a few seconds do you get the same noise? If it is the fan bearings you should be able to turn them by hand and see if they make any noise. Other wise I would wait and see if this continues and if so take it back to the dealer to have them check it out.
Just wonder if it could also be the turbos winding down.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
A 'whistling' sounds seems to be a little different then what most members have reported here. If you start the EXplorer and turn it off after a few seconds do you get the same noise? If it is the fan bearings you should be able to turn them by hand and see if they make any noise. Other wise I would wait and see if this continues and if so take it back to the dealer to have them check it out.
Just wonder if it could also be the turbos winding down.

Peter

Thanks! Ya basically once I start the explorer and turn it off I hear this high pitched noise for a few seconds. I was also thinking that it could be the turbos winding down. I may just wait and see what happens. If it gets worse I may take it back to the dealer. This thread has been very helpful. I will keep you updated and pay close attention to this thread for further updates from owners.

Somebody posted youtube videos of the noise they are hearing. I am hearing the exact same noise as that video. Maybe it is a fan bearing noise. I will be keeping a close eye on it.

Somebody posted youtube videos of the noise they are hearing. I am hearing the exact same noise as that video. Maybe it is a fan bearing noise. I will be keeping a close eye on it.

The videos are on first page of this thread, or search on YouTube for Ford Explorer fan noise.
Those fans were my second ones, they were replaced and after 4 days now it is worse...

The videos are on first page of this thread, or search on YouTube for Ford Explorer fan noise.
Those fans were my second ones, they were replaced and after 4 days now it is worse...

I called the dealership to have it serviced Friday. Now i'm wondering if I should just wait to see if it gets better. Its definitely the fan. I manually moved it and the sound was there. So you have been to the dealership and they replaced the radiator twice already?

I brought mine to the dealership to demo the radiator fan issue (max ac and remote start works perfectly). They determined that they can not service the vehicle because there is no official word from Ford Corporate. After hearing it they were very curious to check other vehicles on the lot. Ended up the ones they checked had the same noise! They told me that they would be contacting Ford and documenting the issue in the system. I agree with other people on this thread ... we need more owners to speak up!

I brought mine to the dealership to demo the radiator fan issue (max ac and remote start works perfectly). They determined that they can not service the vehicle because there is no official word from Ford Corporate. After hearing it they were very curious to check other vehicles on the lot. Ended up the ones they checked had the same noise! They told me that they would be contacting Ford and documenting the issue in the system. I agree with other people on this thread ... we need more owners to speak up!
Just keep your fingers crossed that since the others on the lot made the same noise that Ford doesn't come back with "It's normal".

Peter

Just keep your fingers crossed that since the others on the lot made the same noise that Ford doesn't come back with "It's normal".

Peter

In that case Ford better take responsibility and offer extended warranty for all Explorer owners for replacement of the fans (at least 10yrs) due to it being a known defect.
Otherwise, this will be my last Ford product, considering several other manufacturers have stepped up to the plate when a systemic issue is found giving customers a peace of mind.

In that case Ford better take responsibility and offer extended warranty for all Explorer owners for replacement of the fans (at least 10yrs) due to it being a known defect.
Otherwise, this will be my last Ford product, considering several other manufacturers have stepped up to the plate when a systemic issue is found giving customers a peace of mind.
I wouldn't be surprised to see a TSB on this in the near future. Ford did step up by extending the warranty on the APIM when issues were discovered with it.

Peter

So up into the mid 70's here this weekend. Long road trip (650 round trip) and out and back etc etc.

no noises. 18K on the dash. Will continue to listen.

2016 Limited here. Heard the noise for the first time tonight. Only 400 miles...

Thanks Peter.

I did the remote start last night standing in front of the Explorer to confirm it is the fan. Now, I just have to find time to get to the dealer.

I called the dealership to have it serviced Friday. Now i'm wondering if I should just wait to see if it gets better. Its definitely the fan. I manually moved it and the sound was there. So you have been to the dealership and they replaced the radiator twice already?

I went to 2 diff dealers, was replaced the fan assembly once at each.

i'm really glad I started this thread...
Hope something comes out of Ford...even that they told me it is normal. I said it may be becoming normal but it is still a defect.

Ford should do something. I was going to buy a Focus but ended with a Lancer...
A lot of people makes fun of this new Ford...My wife and I say it has the special Ford Touch..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Updates

I have had a case open with the Better Business Bureau Auto line since the beginning of February, not sure how this is going to turn out, but that is not why I'm here. I'm here because before my arbitration hearing today, last week, a Ford Field Service Engineer brought a re-engineered fan to my dealership for them to put into my Explorer. It took a total of 45 days of complaints and back and forth with the dealership and FMC plus me opening a Lemon Law Case with the Better Business Bureau but the fan did come. They installed the fan with the assistance of the FSE and since then I have not heard the issue once. It's been about 6 - 7 days. It was mentioned that the re-engineered fan has not been released to all field techs publicly just yet, supposedly they are waiting on all the parts to begin mass production, but they did have engineering re-engineer the fan and it should be out publicly soon. I'm probably one of the few test dummies, lol. Anyway I wanted to share that information with you guys. I'm still pursuing a repurchase but I'm aware that some of you are willing to keep the vehicle if they provide a fix for the issue. So that is the update I have. I will state that I have not hear the issue yet but it also took 2 months to present itself from the original purchase date. So I can't say it's fixed until at least 2 months in . But so far I have not heard the noise.

Back