Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Radiator interchange?

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by adworden, January 15, 2013.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. adworden

adworden New Member

City, State:
    Colville,WA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1991 Explorer
    Can someone give me some alternatives? I need to replace the radiator in my daughter's 95exp, 4.0, auto trans, and I'd like some options in case the pullandsave doesn't have her exact year/model. Thanks.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. damork

damork New Member

City, State:
    Yorkville, IL
    '96 XLT
    I have a 96 with 4.0 & auto and it appears the 95-97 use the same radiator, however there are some differences in width when looking at parts for my 96 model. I have a slightly different core width being it is an early 96 where the later 96 units have a wider core (about 20 inches vs 21.5 inches).

What I can't seem to find is any specific recommendations regarding radiator brands such as Vista Pro vs Spectra Premium, Pro, or Nissens.

Just looking at the various offerings from Rock Auto, it appears the Nissens might actually be a quality unit. Reputation on these units is horrible - too many leak problems. A Bronco II then this Explorer, neither has been a success and now the radiators from China seem to be worse. There are no longer any OEM units available from Ford, so it seems like a crap shoot.

4. Texan01

Texan01 Active Member

City, State:
    Dallas, TX
    1995 Explorer XLT
    I recall seeing at the autoshows that an '10 Ranger uses the same radiator or similar. I know they use the same heater core.