• Register Today It's free!

Radiator replacement

New2fixing

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
Hey everyone! I have an Explorer Sport Trac 4x4. Quick question. Looks like I have a radiator leak. I may end up replacing the unit. I'm wondering if there is more than one type of radiator. I want to make sure I get the right fit. I got paranoid because I saw on AutoZone dot com someone post that they had an issue with the duralast radiator they were sold and they have the same model truck as I do. Except I'm not really sure what they mean either.

"radiator is not correct for a 4.0 v6 sohc engine
this radiator will cause overheating issues as it does not have two rows only one, the oem radiator has 2 rows of cooling tubes look closely
What kind of vehicle do you drive? 2001 ford explorer sohc 4.0v6 4dr 4wd"

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check your radiator and measure the row width, some radiators have one row, some have two rows (a row is the tube that carries the water from the hot end (in) to the cool end (out) of the radiator. The rows are usually around one inch wide each. Also, when selecting a radiator, you may have to look at what is given in the description in the selection to choose from, and then see if you can find one that is the same as the one already installed in your car. Read the selection carefully and check all the dimensions given, compare to your old one, dont leave anything out and never assume anything, it will be a learning experience, but that is the most fun part.

Check your radiator and measure the row width, some radiators have one row, some have two rows (a row is the tube that carries the water from the hot end (in) to the cool end (out) of the radiator. The rows are usually around one inch wide each. Also, when selecting a radiator, you may have to look at what is given in the description in the selection to choose from, and then see if you can find one that is the same as the one already installed in your car. Read the selection carefully and check all the dimensions given, compare to your old one, dont leave anything out and never assume anything, it will be a learning experience, but that is the most fun part.

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback. I'll definitely try my best to ensure I get the proper fit. It definitely a learning experience! Haha thanks again.

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback. I'll definitely try my best to ensure I get the proper fit. It definitely a learning experience! Haha thanks again.
Hey everyone! I have an Explorer Sport Trac 4x4. Quick question. Looks like I have a radiator leak. I may end up replacing the unit. I'm wondering if there is more than one type of radiator. I want to make sure I get the right fit. I got paranoid because I saw on AutoZone dot com someone post that they had an issue with the duralast radiator they were sold and they have the same model truck as I do. Except I'm not really sure what they mean either.

"radiator is not correct for a 4.0 v6 sohc engine
this radiator will cause overheating issues as it does not have two rows only one, the oem radiator has 2 rows of cooling tubes look closely
What kind of vehicle do you drive? 2001 ford explorer sohc 4.0v6 4dr 4wd"

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks guys!
I just recently replaced mine about 2 weeks ago with a Duralast Rad C2310. so far i have nor had any problems with it. fit right in, easy to install. the only thing i saw different was at the top. the bracket didnt fill the gap. so the is a gap between the radiator and the fan shroud. not sure about the 2 rows that were mention in other post. Mine also has the transmission cooler built into it.

I just recently replaced mine about 2 weeks ago with a Duralast Rad C2310. so far i have nor had any problems with it. fit right in, easy to install. the only thing i saw different was at the top. the bracket didnt fill the gap. so the is a gap between the radiator and the fan shroud. not sure about the 2 rows that were mention in other post. Mine also has the transmission cooler built into it.

Good to know! Thanks very much for the info. Yeah it's a good thing for me that it doesn't look too complicated to replace.

Get the 2 row. The mounting points and measurements that matter are identical. The 2 row is thicker in the middle and therefore has extra cooling capacity, but the fit is identical. When I bought mine a few years ago from O'Reilly's, the descriptions were confusing making it hard to know what you were getting unless you read the details very closely - and knew what you were looking for. The price difference between the 1 row and the 2 row wasn't much, so go for the extra capacity.

Get the 2 row. The mounting points and measurements that matter are identical. The 2 row is thicker in the middle and therefore has extra cooling capacity, but the fit is identical. When I bought mine a few years ago from O'Reilly's, the descriptions were confusing making it hard to know what you were getting unless you read the details very closely - and knew what you were looking for. The price difference between the 1 row and the 2 row wasn't much, so go for the extra capacity.
Thanks for the info! I really appreciate it. Yeah I'm definitely getting a 2 row.

Back