Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Radio/Back up Camera stops working

Discussion in '2011-2016 My Ford Touch / In Vehicle Technology' started by BrooklynTee, February 12, 2019.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. BrooklynTee

BrooklynTee New Member

City, State:
      Brooklyn
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2016 Explorer XLT
      I have a 2016 Explorer XLT and twice, my radio has stopped working. Both times the fix has been to disconnect the battery for a few minutes and it comes back on. Has anyone ever experienced this? What could the problem be?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      Is it just the radio that stopes working or do you lose other functions on the MFT screen? When you say it "stops working" is that on start up only or when you are listening to it? Does the rearview camera also start working again after the battery disconnect or is it 'dead'?

Peter

4. BrooklynTee

BrooklynTee New Member

City, State:
      Brooklyn
      2016 Explorer XLT
      The entire screen is blank. No radio, back up camera or nothing works. This is upon start up. It has never cut off while in use.

5. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Ottawa, Ontario area
      2017 Explorer Platinum
      Callsign:
      VE3
      There was a TSB for No Audio Output After Startup for th 2013-14 Explorer but I believe that was just for audio and not for a 'dead' radio. The APIM (Accessory Protocol Interface Module) is the 'brains' behind the MFT. A bad or failing APIM would result in what you described and renders all MFT functions inoperable. The thing with your issue is that you can resolve the issue with a battery disconnect so I'm not sure if there is something else failing. I'm guessing your out of warranty coverage.

Peter

6. BrooklynTee

BrooklynTee New Member

City, State:
      Brooklyn
      2016 Explorer XLT
      Yes, my 3 year basic warranty is up. I took it in to the dealership the first time it happened and they service tech disconnected the battery and sent me on my way. So this time, I had a local mechanic do it for me and it worked as well. I'm just wondering what is causing it. Also it was over a year ago when it happened the first time.