Radio / Clock display problem 1998 and up Explorers ( blank / fade / blanks / fades ) | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radio / Clock display problem 1998 and up Explorers ( blank / fade / blanks / fades )

I contacted biscaynekid and as of today he has posted on Ebay Motors his Display Repair fix. Very reasonable pricing ($45 plus $10.55 Shipping) with a guarantee to fix again if it goes out at no extra charge except the shipping. No hassles. I have done purchased mine and there are only 7 left. It will only run 9 more days from today.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

does anyone know if i can take the power board out of a non premium unit and use that one?? or is it different?

Danson....Does it look the same? Does it fit in the same slot? If it's already broke, you can't much hurt it.......

biscaynekid on Ebay just did mine, quick turn around and very inexpensive compared to a new or remanufactured radio. I highly recommend.

Dead Link Removed

5 years ago I bought instructions to do the fix myself. I pulled the radio and did the touch up soldering. BRIGHT LIGHTS WORKED GREAT...but only for about a week. I pulled it again and repeated. Again just temporary. A friend who does this kind of electronics work for a living offered to go over the board on his bench. BRIGHT LIGHTS WORKED GREAT...but guess what, it didn't last.

Ambient temp has nothing to do with mine -- this summer we've had lots of days over 90 degrees, yet 2 weeks ago driving on the highway when it was 90+ the display went to full bright.

My attempts at repairing the board 5 years ago obviously didn't kill it. I think repairs just goose it for a while.

biscaynekid on Ebay just did mine, quick turn around and very inexpensive compared to a new or remanufactured radio. I highly recommend.
never mind my radio already failed, Biscaynekid wants me to take it back out, ship it and reinstall. Not worth all that trouble again...

Hi

Can anyone tell me where to buy those blue resistors.

I have seen places that sell the resistors in the correct ohm/watt range, but they aren't the light blue kind that were in the radio. Does that really matter? Are the light blue kind without the color bands different from other resistors?

I pulled the resistors off the board because I thought they were bad. (that was before I read that you just need to resolder them) On one I knocked the blue powder coating off to see what was underneath. The other I cut right through to see what was inside. I wasn't really concerned because I thought I could just get new ones at Radio Shack.

Radio Shack doesn't carry them.

Thanks for any help
Ron

The color of the resistor does not matter as long as it is the correct resistance (ohms) and wattage.

Now I have a question, does anyone have a unit apart and can check resistor r1051 and tell me what the resistance is? My board got so hot that the surface mount resistor fell off and I don't have a schematic to tell me the value.

Just bought a 99 merc 5.0 and my display is dead. I'm going to the local junk yard as they have a matching deck and I'm going to see if the board is working in theirs. Curious but what other radio models use that same type of power board?

I tried the solder repair but had no luck.

Found a place online that sells the board for 100 but gives you back 25 when you return your broken one.

Thomas

All of the OEM Pioneer Mach/Pioneer radios had defective display boards. Don't buy a used one. Find a new board, it's not that complicated. The last I read suggested that they were sold three at a time for about $90. Surely some radio parts suppliers can identify what the board is and get it for you.

I love the radios, if I knew it would even more of a problem now, I would have bought some new display boards and some spare HU's to put them in. I have one spare HU that I'm sure needs a new board. I'll buy one if someone has to buy a set of some kind to fix theirs.

my new board came in the mail.

Radio display is bright and easy to see.

Thanks for the help. I'll get a hold of my brother inlaw and see if he can help me. We will see what happens.

Just bought a 99 merc 5.0 and my display is dead. I'm going to the local junk yard as they have a matching deck and I'm going to see if the board is working in theirs. Curious but what other radio models use that same type of power board?

I tried the solder repair but had no luck.

Found a place online that sells the board for 100 but gives you back 25 when you return your broken one.

Thomas

Thomas,

Could you tell me where you bought the replacement board? Having a hard time locating anyone who is still selling them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok I am trying to fix the blank display on the 2000 Merc Mountaineer. I tried re-soldering the 5 previously mentioned components in a row. I also separated two that appeared gobbed together on the opposite side of the board. No luck. I saw this on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-EXPLOR...r_Audio_In_Dash_Receivers&hash=item53e32335ca

Anyone have any clue as to what exactly he is selling for $20? It is a tutorial obviously, but what does he know that we do not? I do not want to send him my $ if he just says to solder the same connections.

Aside from that, any good leads on repairing it?

Back