Radio Display is out, Please Help. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radio Display is out, Please Help.

mtg82814

Reaction score
City, State
Worcester, Ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer Limited
Hello,

I have a 98 Explorer Limited. I believe the radio is called "Mach Audio System" Just recently the radio display went out. The radio still works fine, I can still control what I'm listening to through the stering wheel and the radio buttons work, I just can't see what station is playing or the clock.

I'm wondering if this is a fuse problem. What makes me concerned is that the radio is working fine, so I don't know if it is a fuse problem. Could this be an internal fuse in the radio, not a car fuse.

Is this going to cost me a lot?

Any Idea's

I appreciate any help.

Thank You

Mike Godfrey
Michael_T_Godfrey@res.raytheon.com

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site!!!

Ok, here's something to check first..kinda silly but I've done it b4...check you dimmer switch for the dash lighting...if it's all the way down and you have the headlights on the radio display will not be seen..just a quick/easy check before hand. Other than that...I dunno...try pulling out the head unit and look for some loose or damaged wiring for it. Good luck!Dead Link Removed

[Edited by Ru Dawg on 11-03-2000 at 06:16 AM]

I know in earlier Fords there was a small light bulb that could be replaced in the radio that worked like a back light for the LCD display. It might still be that way but I don't know for sure. Give Ford a call. Is your warrenty still good? I would guess with a Limited you should have the best warrenty they offered because of the gadgets those things have. Good luck.

Same problem here - no display on radio

Folks, I have the same problem with my 98 Eddie Bauer radio, not displaying clock or station info. Same radio, fuses all look good, it uses the green pixie display and therefore does not need a backlight. This is the display behind the smoked plastic lens under the CD player.

I've had the cover off and could not see anything obvious, no burn't lightbulbs, etc.

Also, I have worked the dimmer reostate, it dims the backlighted buttons but does nothing for the display.

Appears to be a configuration issue, however I too need some advice as to how to remedy. Also, I've turned off the cellphone to try it without the phone attached, same issue.

Thanks in advance for anyones suggestions.

[Edited by monson303 on 11-17-2000 at 08:05 PM]

Radio Display Problem

I have a similar problem. Radio display does not show but occassionally it will. Also, sometimes when we touch the volumn nob to adjust volumn the radio shuts off. Sometimes it comes on by itself. Appreciate any help. Ford wants flat fee of $330 to send to a repair shop regardless of what the problem is. It may be in the wiring harness and not the radio then that fix would not solve the problem anyway. Regards, Barry Stefan bstefan@intelos.net

I too have the same problem of the clock and radio light being out. On occasion it illuminates, but most of the time its out. It has to be a loose connection behind the head unit. I'll keep you updated.

Ahhh... Add my name to the same problem (posted back a few weeks earlier...) No one came up with a solution. I have contacted an independant shop and found they have had a few Ford systems in for repair (they, too send them off). The problem lies in the IC that controls the fluorescent display and can only be remeadied by replacement of the circuit board... which houses the IC. A replacement head unit is available for around $475 US and can be purchased online... I may go this route since it is not a whole lot more than repair estimates. Check www.radiosandmore
for a replacement.

Good luck, and keep us posted...

ps,
seems mine works fine when the headlights are on... for now.

Well, the only "solution" I have heard was to take it to Ford. It seems their radios are not the greatest. I had the volume knob break off of mine before I had the Double Din-ed Pioneer put in. Hopefully for you guys it'll be under warranty. Mine wasn't, but some of you have fairly new Explorers that the 3/36K may cover.

Anyone figured this out yet? I am scheduled to take my 98 Sport in for this tomorrow. Looks like I may be wasting my time. I had a 91 Sport with the same problem as well.

Why on earth would anyone get a Ford radio fixed at that cost? Why not buy a better aftermarket unit?

Has anyone actually had their stock HU repaired?

Comments?

still broken

I've never had mine fixed. It plays great, just no display.

I would like to buy a new one, but I want a radio that uses my controls on the steering wheel. are there any radios that can still make use of those controls.

please keep me informed of any solutions.

-Mike

Around my area we have junkyards,
Im sure they wouldnt charge you more than a a hun-fifty for a cd player from a stock system. check them out, you'd be surprised.

Well, its happened to mine too now. No display on the radio. I just went out and bought the Double DIN Pioneer 8800. I'll let you guys know how the install goes...

junk

add me to the list of bad radio display
cd player & tape deck work well
98 sport

I was on that list also until Friday. I took mine back to Ford and because of my X being covered by the 3yr/36, they swapped it out at no charge. I did not even ask what was wrong with it...at that point I did not care. I was just happy to get my X back. Two days is two days too long when the ONLY thing Enterprise Leasing has left is a damn Geo Metro!! Talk about having some serious X withdrawal.

Let's see how long THIS display will last.

SOLUTION TO ALL YOUR TROUBLES

i feel all of your pains. i first had my HU display burn out at about 26,000. good think waranty still covered it. i think they just replaced it with another one. second time it happened was after warrantty, so i guess i was kinda screwed on goin back to the dealer. but whatever, drove for about 10,000 miles just guessing which station i was on and the levels of the fader, bass, and treble. even installed a system with that crappy HU. im sure you all notice CD's just ejected played or not are at a scalding temperature. There are even some posts about this topic. im sure this lack of heat dissipation thingy-ma-jigger has something to with displays burning out.

finally a solution. get an aftermarket HU. problem solved.

Help---want a new radio???

My display has been out for a while now, although it came on a few days ago for about 10 minutes(it was my b-day, maybe the car knew it)

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knows of any radio's that can be installed into the explorer that will still make use of the buttons on the steering wheel.

Also, does anyone know the price for having the radio fixed.

Thanks,

Mike Godfrey
Michael_T_Godfrey@Raytheon.com

I too have this problem. About 4 months ago it would fade in and out for the first 5 or so minutes I had the car turned on. Now I am lucky to get the display 20 minutes into a drive. It seems that this is a problem that we shouldn't have to pay for. Perhaps Ford should recall this. It seems this is only on '98s. Will aftermarket head units still be able to be controlled by the rear controls?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The problem is not limited to 98's. Mine on my 98 is out off and on, I have seen the problem on 97's and 99's as well. I agree, ford should recall it, but with the whole tire thing I don't see it happening. The only fix I have heard off, is to remove the radio and re-solder all of the connections on the long circuit board inside. I haven't the nerve to try it yet, but I'll let you know if I do and it works.

Back