Radio Display is Out!!!!! Will A Dorman 586-001 aftermarket power supply board work. | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radio Display is Out!!!!! Will A Dorman 586-001 aftermarket power supply board work.

I have a downloaded pdf of my 1997 Owner's Manual. Don't remember for sure where I got it - but I know it was free. Maybe ford.com??? Memory is one of the many things to go in my old age.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I will try and track down a pdf. Got a move coming up and am trying to get rid of all these papers lying around!

Thanks though

Changed mine out with the Dorman board last night - got it from Amazon for about $45. Directions were in the box - piece of cake. One thing that is interesting is that the radio had a Ford dealer sticker on the bottom with a date of 2001. When I pulled the power board, I noticed that all the resistors were raised and not against the board. So, it looks like this radio had been repaired back then.

Anyway, all is good now - Display is working!

I will try and track down a pdf. Got a move coming up and am trying to get rid of all these papers lying around!

Thanks though

JimMadsen - Just had to locate an owners manual for another Ford today. Here is the link I used to get a free pdf for a 1999 Taurus. Notice it also had a note that you can buy printed ones from Helms. Good luck.

http://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/owner-manuals/

Cbranning2012, thank you! Seeing that screen light up for the first time after 7-8 years of not having it was an incredible sight!

Cbranning2012, thank you! Seeing that screen light up for the first time after 7-8 years of not having it was an incredible sight!

Glad I could help. It's always a great feeling to get something to work.

Also to let everyone know mines been in for about three months now and it's still bright as the first day I put the PSB in.

Radio Display

Hi all got a 98 Eddie, have the same issue with the display not working on the radio replaced the board with The dorman part and I still have nothing on the display? Any suggestions? Possibly the faceplate is bad? Thanks in advance.

Hi all got a 98 Eddie, have the same issue with the display not working on the radio replaced the board with The dorman part and I still have nothing on the display? Any suggestions? Possibly the faceplate is bad? Thanks in advance.

i had the same problem with my 2000 Mountaineer radio. i also noticed that none of my radio buttons lit up. no solution yet.

I would first check to make sure that the power supply board wire harness is connected to the faceplate firmly. If that doesn't solve the issue maybe try to swap the faceplate with another one.

I paid for a repair by one of the people offering the service via this site. "Lifetime" warranty apparently means for the life of the repair. It died after 3 weeks and the "service" would not respond to my e-mails so buyer beware. And no I won't name them.

I purchased the dorman replacement from Rock Auto for just under $50 so I'll see how long it lasts.

I just wanted to update this post if anyone is contemplating the Dorman fix for their radio power supply. I installed the Dorman part in my radio 11/23/13 and here it is 10/21/15 and it's still going strong! So stop "repairing" your board or having it "repaired" and install the dorman part and be done with it!:salute:

I just wanted to update this post if anyone is contemplating the Dorman fix for their radio power supply. I installed the Dorman part in my radio 11/23/13 and here it is 10/21/15 and it's still going strong! So stop "repairing" your board or having it "repaired" and install the dorman part and be done with it!:salute:

Just thought I'd share this. .......... I installed the Dorman product on 11/3 /13. It has now died. It had been giving signs of impending failure for a couple of months now. Ohe well, off to Crutchfield! !

i don't know of anyone using the Dorman board, but for around the same price (maybe a bit less) you can get it repaired with a life time warranty ($45 plus 2-way shipping) here... email Mike at:

sayko4@aol.com
Do you still repair these radios? Need help badly…

Does anyone have current information about the Dorman part?

Dorman 586-001 Power Supply Board

Is the supply problem related to the "notorious" chip shortage? and does anyone have a picture of the stereo that this will fix? My problem stereo is in a '97 Explorer.

Does anyone have current information about the Dorman part?

Dorman 586-001 Power Supply Board

Is the supply problem related to the "notorious" chip shortage? and does anyone have a picture of the stereo that this will fix? My problem stereo is in a '97 Explorer.
I'm sorry to say that the Dorman part has been unavailable for a while now, it was that way before the 2020 shut down. It may work for the 97 radio, I don't know, it isn't evidently the right one for the thread OP subject, the Mach or Premium 98-01 decks. I learned that after I had bought one, which I have no clue where it's at. But I was hoping to use it to fix my other Mach radio, it's evidently close enough that it fits the radios. So I think something is different within it, and maybe only an expert could figure it out.

The 95-97 Explorers use a different radio system, mostly the amps and external wiring is different, versus the 98-01's. So those radios don't interchange.

Hi all,

I have a 98 Explorer EB w/ a MACH head unit. Everything works including CD player, sub woofer even the tape deck but, the display is out. If tried fixing it with the instructions from some threads on here but it doesn't work maybe I suck at soldering. But DORMAN has just come with an aftermarket power supply board. In the description it list radio part numbers that only apply to the premium head units and i was wondering if anyone has bought one for a MACH head unit or a Premium head unit to see if it lasts and is good quality. I've coped the URL from the DORMAN website.

http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-64731-586-001.aspx?year=1998&make=Ford&model=Explorer&parttype=Radio%20Display%20Power%20Board
Glad to hear that, I have a 2000 Mountaineer with the same issue although when I went to the link provided it's not yet listed so will check with AutoZone, O'Reilly's or similar parts store to see if they have or can order it,I can solder but I'm afraid I might have same results 😊

I think a radio repair expert could make the Dorman board work for a Mach unit, but finding one is hard, and then a repair expert that knows the Pioneer Mach unit well, that could be even harder now.

A repair expert would potentially just repair the existing board, unless it cracked in two and maybe even then on the cheap. Anyone know what the usual failure point is on them? Usual suspects would be PCB or solder joint crack, failed capacitor(s) or transistor, etc.

A repair expert would potentially just repair the existing board, unless it cracked in two and maybe even then on the cheap. Anyone know what the usual failure point is on them? Usual suspects would be PCB or solder joint crack, failed capacitor(s) or transistor, etc.

Unfortunately the problems of the display board are many. The success rate of people fixing their own has been hit or miss, to look for suspect solder joints and redo those. Evidently it's many soldered points, mainly those, I would guess at this age some capacitors etc, are bad too. I think the difference between the Mach and Premium display board should be very minor, but nobody has really investigated that. The Dorman board came out way after the other aftermarket board had been in use for years in the Mach radio. I didn't read of it until a couple of years after I had mine repaired, which was around 2005. Then I bought one, and later found out it wasn't made for the Mach radio, LOL/WTF.

Very old story. About 20 years ago these boards started failing because of two leaded power resistors (if memory serves, 1/2W) which were heating the little PCB so much that solder was melting and SMT components were falling off. Some electrolytic capacitors might have been damaged from the heat as well. Pioneer came up with an "upgraded" design, which simply lifted those two resistors about 1/4" off the board. I installed one of those and it's been working fine to this day. Alas, over the years the built-in CD drive became iffy, and the console-mounted 6-disk changer is now a dead weight. Thought of replacing the thing with something befitting the 21st century, but since the EX mostly serves as a short-range garden supplies hauler these days, it's not essential. Moreover, on the slim hope that one day my grandchildren will make a fortune selling this Limited - equipped with every possible option that money could buy in 1998 as a collector's item, everything inside should be kept original, shouldn't it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No benefit to keeping one of these original, especially with outdated tech that doesn’t work.

Back