Radio ESN Sirius issue

Schmidie

Reaction score
City, State
Houston
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016, Explorer XLT
Hi guys,

Recently bought a 2016 XLT less than a month ago from Carmax and decided to opt in for SiriusXM radio. I called Sirius, got the All access package including Sirius Travel Link and gave them necessary info to activate/ping the radio included the ESN. Now the wierd part is that according to the representative they cannot activate the Sirius Travel Link because it is "not an option on the vehicle" when clearly I'm looking at my Nav and it says to call the number to activate. When I gave them the ESN info again, its showing a different number on my account. Keep in mind the radio is working properly and can hear all the channels fine... So they try to update and activate the Travel Link but they said for some reason the system keeps kicking it back to a different ESN number than what it says on the screen. They finally told me to .. so I dont how about to go with this. Should I reach out to the Manufacturer or Carmax?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Do you have MFT (MyFord Touch) or Sync 3? Just curious if the previous owner might have swapped the MFT system with Sync 3. I don't know if that changes the ESN number. I don't see that there is anything Carmax can do about it except maybe being able to contact the previous owner.

Peter

Yes I have MFT sync 2( 8in screen) that came with it. The vehicle was previously a fleet vehicle.

If you are going to be using a dealership for service, see if they will, or in this case being a fleet vehicle, can pull the maintenance records for the Explorer to see if anything was done that may be causing this issue.

Peter

If you are going to be using a dealership for service, see if they will, or in this case being a fleet vehicle, can pull the maintenance records for the Explorer to see if anything was done that may be causing this issue.

Peter
ok thanks for the advice!:thumbsup:

I also came across a post while doing a search on this and a member said that he called Sirius with an issue and they weren't able to help. He called back again later and the call was answered by a different person who fixed him up.

Peter

PM (Conversation) your VIN to me. I will look it up and see if the vehicle originally came with NAV. That could be the issue.

It was built with NAV. If the ESN is different from what they have on record for your VIN the ACM (that houses the Sirius receiver) was likely replaced for some reason. Sirius normally has travel link by VIN and if their VIN/ESN record (provided to them by Ford) is not matching your ESN record they probably need to change it on their end. Ask for tech support when you call SIrius.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for jumping in Jason.:thumbsup:

Peter

It was built with NAV. If the ESN is different from what they have on record for your VIN the ACM (that houses the Sirius receiver) was likely replaced for some reason. Sirius normally has travel link by VIN and if their VIN/ESN record (provided to them by Ford) is not matching your ESN record they probably need to change it on their end. Ask for tech support when you call SIrius.

Hope that makes sense.

Thank you for dept info. I called Sirius about this matter before and they seem to not know what to do with it which is annoying because physically the radio is working and all the components in it. I dont understand why they cant "override" something.

Thank you for dept info. I called Sirius about this matter before and they seem to not know what to do with it which is annoying because physically the radio is working and all the components in it. I dont understand why they cant "override" something.

You need to ask for the technical support group when you call.

Happy Sunday guys. hope everyone enjoying their weekend.
So yesterday morning on my way to Walmart my radio finally decided to deactivate itself. Went straight to CH. 184 which is the preview channel. Finally called Sirius and told the rep to ping the radio and to read my previews transcript from my past call logs. At this point I just didn't feel like explaining the situation again for the millionth time. Also told them what jmr061 advise me to do so...the rep figured why my ESN was different...surprisingly the ESN from my last vehicle was not updated on the ACM and it carried over which it didn't make sense. Rep said most like they updated the vehicle make and model but didnt do it for the ESN. everytime I called and verified ESN it would say 2016 Ford Explorer . This whole time it was their error and it took 4 different rep to figure it out. Now everything is squared finally.

At least it is working now!!

Back