Radio install on '03 Sport XLS - I'm lost.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radio install on '03 Sport XLS - I'm lost..

LDelSanto86

Reaction score
City, State
Southington, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Ford Explorer SportXLS
I'm trying to install an Appradio 4. I bought a double din dash kit by metra (which fit my vehicle according to their site). I've since found out that it won't fit and that I have to do some trimming, which is fine, but I'm lost on how the unit will be held in place.

The old radio was only physically attached to the dash plate that comes off, no clips or anything on the inside, it slid right out with the plate. So even if I trim the new installation kit down to allow my Appradio to slide it, it will be able to slide right back out, won't it? The support in the back of the radio will keep it level and the trim around the outside will keep it from sliding further back into the dash, but unless I'm missing something, there is nothing that will physically hold the radio from sliding out towards the interior of the vehicle? This is frustrating. I've done a radio install on every vehicle I've ever owned and it's always gone smoothly. Any tips, advice, or help? Thanks!

www.metraonline.com/part/Ford_Expedition_Dash_kit_95-5026

That is the kit I bought. I forgot to mention, in addition to the trim I also have no way to secure that, as there are screw holes at the bottom but my stock radio wasn't secured that way, therefore there is nothing in the dash to screw into.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry, I found another thread that ran into the same problem, it was a Sport Trac but the idea was exactly the same.

For anyone searching about this in the future, to sum up that thread:

- You'l want an installation kit for a second generation explorer from 1995 to 2001. The Metra 95-5817 worked perfectly. (Available pretty much anywhere. I picked mine up at BestBuy and they pricematched Amazon's price of $8.69)

- When you disconnect everything from the dash bezel, you will have to trim it up. Where your double din unit is going to sit, you will have to trim the top and bottom lips. My dremel was dead, so all I did was run a hacksaw blade up and down each side, so it made a vertical cut into the top and bottom (Basically so the left and right lips extend all the way to the top and bottom) and then scored the top and bottom lips over and over with a utility knife. After a handful of passes, I grabbed a pair of pliers and carefully bent it back and forth until it cleanly snapped.

-Install as per the instructions after that.

I hit my bezel with a quick coat of black to make it stick out a little more.

VqyUATN.jpg
"]Here's how it came out..[/URL]

If you have any questions on it, PM me!

FYI: doesn't look like your link that says "Here's how it came out.." is working.
I'm kinda interested actually, lol...

Sorry about that, is this working?

http://imgur.com/kipToSH

Ignore the mess and the wires scattered. It was a long night, but everything is relatively clean now :thumbsup:

That looks good!

Back