Radio/phone mute | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radio/phone mute

GSX-WE4

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
14 Explorer Sport
I have a 2014 Sport. We were eating lunch in the car with the radio on in the accessory mode. I started the engine and we drove 50 feet and my friend opened the passenger door to toss our cups and bags in the trash. When he got back in the car, the radio became mute. It was on, but no sound. I called my wife and the phone was also mute (she could hear us but we could not hear her). The navigation sound did work though. I turned off the car and restarted it and everything worked again as normal. Any ideas as to what caused that? Thanks for any info.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Typically the seat belt warning system does this. Do it again and have him buckle the seat belt instead of a restart. I do believe you can override this in MFT somewhere.

Another new wrinkle? Don't recall reading about this before.

Peter

I discovered it by accident about a year ago while in a 2013 Taurus rental. After the seatbelt chime was ignored for a few it just muted. While we typically always use the belts, it was a quick jaunt and we were getting back out of the car so we eschewed them. It happened again when my son-in-law got into the front seat and didn't buckle up. I figured it out at that point and told him to do so and the radio came right back on.

Very interesting. Thanks for your input.:thumbsup:

Peter

Back