Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Radio replacement 1998 XLT

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by MarioC, May 24, 2012.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. MarioC

MarioC New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1998 XLT
    Hi,

I have a 1998 XLT 4dr and I am looking to replace the radio as the display stopped working. I spoke to the guys at Crutchfield and they asked if I have a factory amp or not. How does one tell if you have a factory amp or not. I have AM/FM single CD, cassette in dash (not a Mach) and a six disc cd changer in the center console.

It seems as they they supply a different harness if there is an amp or not. Can you tell by removing the radio and looking at the harness.

She runs like new, 115,000 miles on it and the only issue is the radio display and it is driving me crazy.

Thanks,
    Mario

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Logiz5500

Logiz5500 New Member

City, State:
    Amsterdam
    1998 Explorer XLT 4 SOHC
    In my Explorer 1998 XLT 4.0 SOHC the amp is behind the panel in the boot compartment (driver's side (Right hand steering wheel in my case)).
    Just remove 1 screw and 4 press-on buttons and you can bend the plastic away to see if you have an amp. It's like 20 by 10 cm in size.

Good luck!

4. boriqua 1

boriqua 1 New Member

i just replaced the factory radio to a slide out touch screen and i love this more than the factory and its so easy to do it

5. my98nnj

my98nnj Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Boonton, New Jersey
    1998 XLT
    The radio display fix is in the sticks at the top of this forum.
    It's an easy fix, or send it out for about 80 bucks and it's fixed with a lifetime warranty.
    All the info is in the sticky.

6. Steeda90GT

Steeda90GT Active Member

City, State:
    Central NJ
    99 Sport
    I did the same thing. It was actually cheaper to go with a better, more up to date aftermarket unit than it was to replace this Ford garbage unit.