Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Radio Wiring

Discussion in 'Explorer Audio & Navigation' started by Jessyjboxer, February 19, 2010.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Jessyjboxer

Jessyjboxer New Member

City, State:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    Explorer 04, Eddie Bauer
    Hello Everyone,

I have a 2004 Explorer, EB. I want to add an Ipod connection to the radio but from what I've read the Audiopiles radio I have does not have an AUX connection for the Ipod. I would rather not use the FM tranmitter option so I'm thinking of replacing the radio. I figured out how to remove the radio but I am not familiar with the wiring connections on the radio itself. Any information on this would help me out. I love the steeringwheel buttons so I need to keep these. I want to be as informed as possible before I start replacing things. All information relating to this matter would be helpful. Thank you for your help.:exp:

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. techboj

techboj Active Member

City, State:
    Surrey, BC Canada
    99 Sport + 06 EB
    If you intend to keep the radio you can use on of these

http://www.scosche.com/products/sfID1/151/sfID2/159/sfID3/315/productID/417 it plugs between the antenna wire and the deck. It's almost like an FM tranmitter but is wired instead of wireless - so you do not get the annoying breaks in sound or irritating hiss

Scosche also has different interface adapters that plug between your stock harness and may be capable of utilizing the CD changer input from your deck (if any) Just look for the picture which corresponds to your factory harness from one of scosches solutions. They even have oem steering wheel integration controls which may work with yours.

Since you've indicated you may change your head unit you can go to www.crutchfield.com for information on what you need. They usually have all the plugs, adaptors and bezels that would fit your model. Alternatively, you can go to

http://www.bestkits.com/SearchResults.aspx?mk=Ford&mkid=9&md=Explorer&mdid=289&yrg=2002 - 2005 they also have the dash kits, wiring harnesses and speaker adapters should you plan on swapping the oem units as well in favor of aftermarket ones

4. Jessyjboxer

Jessyjboxer New Member

City, State:
    Los Angeles, CA
    Explorer 04, Eddie Bauer
    Wiring On Radio

Thanks for your reply. I was actually more curious about what the wires were behind the radio unit. I believe there is four connections. I just want to know what they are. :exp:

5. agonz91

agonz91 Member

City, State:
    Idaho ;)
    98 XLT
    They're just the usual speaker wire, power/ground, anteana, constant, and remote.

There's a company that makes ipod cables for any HU that has aux pre outs, not the 3.5mm head phone jack. The cable will charge the ipod and you'll control it through the ipod instead of the HU. I've never tried to install RCA's to a stock HU w/ that cable but I'm not positive that it'll work. I can get prices n such later.

6. jrford

jrford Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Birmingham, MI
    '10 Sport Trac
    i think PIE makes an adapter that uses the rear inputs, plugs in between the harness and radio. But you have an '04 and i do know that there are two types of harnesses, which makes it more difficult, you can tell by the colors of the plugs in back of the radio, not the harness.
    Most suppliers where confused when i looked a few years back, so much so nothing was listed for an '04. Its a little better but still 'grey'.

PIE FRD04-POD/S FORD TO IPOD is for a radio with Grey Plugs in back, this was the harness that was used anything after '05, but the '04 CDi6/Audiophile/Sub system had them.

PIE FRDN/PC-POD2 98-07 is for Black Plugs, this was used in '03 and prior, in '04 it was used for the Base Radio no sub.

someone posted on this a while back, with his '03?