Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Radius Arm Bushing Damage

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by natenkiki2004, July 31, 2017.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. natenkiki2004

natenkiki2004 Blue Bomb!

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1991 & 1994 Explorers
    Hello all. I got a wild hair and decided to do radius arm bushings on my 1994 parts truck. It's been thumping and popping since I got it and was hoping I'd avoid damage but it's already done. Time for a new bracket. My question is, what about damage to the radius arm itself? Is it a concern? Here's some pictures:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rziljj609k51qgz/2017-07-30 19.23.10.jpg?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/3iwgd94mpr67ug9/2017-07-30 19.23.17.jpg?dl=0

Something to keep in mind, while this truck will likely be a parts & farm truck for a while, it's possible I might fix the transmission issues and go all in on making it a driver. That's why I'll replace the bracket but I'm not sure if the wear on the radius arm is enough of a safety concern.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. boominXplorer

boominXplorer Elite Ranger Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Virginia Beach, Va
    00 4x4 Mounty
    You might have a hell of a time getting the washer and bushing on it but it looks useable. I'd grind it round and give it a shot. It will be much better than nothing.

4. Rhett

Rhett Let Them Eat Cake Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Cape Girardeau, MO
    94 Sport 4x4
    You could try applying some metal filler on the worn area to build it up. I think as long as there is no metal-to-metal contact, that should work.

5. natenkiki2004

natenkiki2004 Blue Bomb!

1991 & 1994 Explorers
    It's still round, there's just a bite taken out of it. The old bushings and washers slid off without issue.

I think I'll give it a go, it's still a farm truck for now and even if it accelerates wear of the bushing, they'll be easy to replace in the future once I'm done with these rivets. Plus, the bushing might harden before the wear becomes an issue since this is the passenger side right next to the cat. Looking at RockAuto, there are no 4x4 radius arms available.

6. arco777

arco777 Elite Explorer

1994 Explorer 2dr 4x4
    I had one like that and built it up with metal filler, then sanded it round. Worked fine.

• Like Like x 1
  7. natenkiki2004

natenkiki2004 Blue Bomb!

1991 & 1994 Explorers
    What is this metal filler you guys are talking about? Welding? Unfortunately I don't yet have access to a welder and I can't exactly drive it to my buddy's shop and with his bad knees, I don't know that he'd want to crawl around down there. I can braze but I think that's a bit too thick for my propane torch.

8. arco777

arco777 Elite Explorer

1994 Explorer 2dr 4x4
    I used JB Stik. It is like JB weld but comes in a stick of putty you mush together to make it cure. Super useful stuff.

9. Chirko

Chirko Member

City, State:
    Enem, Adigeya
    Explorer 1991 Eddie Bauer