Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

radius arm bushings

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by fireftr, September 17, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. fireftr

fireftr Active Member

City, State:
      strongsville,ohio
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '05 Limited 4.6
      Need to know the degree of difficulty for radius arm bushing replacement on a '92. Don't want to get into something I might need special tools for, or something that will take me forever to finish.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. MrMatt

MrMatt Active Member

City, State:
      Minnesota
      06 Mountaineer V8
      Seems this question is coming up a lot latley (myself included).

From what I have found out their are a variety of ways to complete this job:

A) Unbolt Radius Arms, Grind off the rivits holding the crossmember to your Frame. Knock the rivets out, remove bushing, crossmember, second half of bushing, replace in reverse order, replace rivits with bolts and reassemble everything.

B) Unbolt radius arms, jack vehicle up and use a come-a-long to winch the axle forward enough for the radius arm to come out of the crossmember. You may have to loosen the axle pivot bolts to get it to move far enough forward.

C) Take your suspension apart and unbolt the radius arms from the axles.

In my case it appears my crossmember must have already been removed once as its all bolt so I will just be unbolting mine and replacing them that way :)

Hope that helps.

-Matt

4. ajevenson

ajevenson Active Member

City, State:
      Calgary, AB
      '92 XLT