• Register Today It's free!

Rancho RS5000?

Erik in NC

Reaction score
City, State
Charlotte, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Hello group, I'm looking for aftermarket shocks to replace the stock shocks on my '97 Explorer 4-door 4x4 with ~100,000 miles on it and 31x10.5 tires. Vehicle is mostly used on-road with occasional light off-road use and occasional towing of a small utility trailer. Any suggestions? Would Rancho RS5000's be a good fit? Also, I've noticed the vehicle seems to lean very very slightly to the left since I bought it with 25,000 miles on it...though I have not noticed any effect on the handling. Any ballpark ideas on the cause?

many thanks,
erik

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 5ks will serve you well for the cost, Your OEMs were toast about 99K miles ago.

If you go with the 5000's you may want to consider not running the shock boots. They trap dirt and moisture and will rot out the top of the shock.

I have 31inch BFG's, Rancho 5000's and a TT, add a leaf and shackles on my X. I like the shocks, they help when I play around in the mud and dirt roads a bit. However, I live near boston now and they suck driving on ****ty city roads, but what can I expect from a stiffer SUV with 100k, now that is rattles around the city streets. I would still recommend them, since the added stiffness from my add a leafs contribute. They are a great shock, and a good compromise between stiff off-roading and stock shocks replacements.

Welcome to the board.

The slight lean is common and almost universal - probably a result of the fact that the left side almost always carries more weight (both the driver and the fuel tank are on the left side). It doesn't hurt anything. You can swap the left and right leafs/trade sides or do a "cheater" fix by lowering your right front torsion bar just a hair to release some pressure on the opposite left rear spring to bring it up a bit. I describe that fix in my registry. Click on "Gerald's Truck" in my sig below and scroll to the second post and read about it if you want to. Try using our search function and search for "sagging" or a similar word and find lots of prior posts about it.

Back