1. Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Dismiss Notice

Ranchos or not

Discussion in 'Modified 1995-2001 Explorers' started by albeegood, November 11, 2015.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. albeegood

albeegood New Member

City, State:
    New Jersey
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    98 Explorer Sport 4x4
    I have a 98 ford explorer sport (no leaf or coils in front) and my question I'm in the process of buying some shocks and need some help as to which ones to get. I WAS thinking on toe 5000's but just read they are oil filled as supposed to gas? Anyway I live in a bumpy pot-holed area and need something that can attack the roads and give me some smooth & comfort. PLEASE HELP, I was thinking on probably some GAS shocks.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. 1997XLTRollover

1997XLTRollover Well-Known Member

1996 AWD 5.0
    You may want the 9000's then. They're gas filled and adjustable. That way you can set the ride stiffness on your own to exactly what you want (as much as your suspension will allow). I have 5000's up front and 9000's out back since the back tends to ride harder and hop over bumps more. I set my 9000's after some testing at level 4 and it's perfect.

4. 2TimingTom

2TimingTom Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Littleton, Colorado
    '97 XLT
    Agree. Probably 9000s. I have mine on full stiff on the road but I have a longer moment arm with my taller lift.

5. ThreeJs

ThreeJs Active Member

City, State:
    Las Vegas/Henderson NV
    96 EB Explorer 4x4
    I have rs5000's up front and they are great for me. Of course I have only driven on road. After reading here I am going to consider the 9000's for the rear since I am getting ready to replace my rears.

6. karlos2

karlos2 Active Member

98 Explorer
  7. Sonny1597

Sonny1597 Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Tucson
    2001 Explorer Sport 2dr
    I have a 2001 Sport and installed Rancho 9000's all around. I have re-arc'd rear springs with a leaf added and the front torsion bars have been cranked to match the rear for about a 2" lift. I run my 9000's at '1' on pavement but kick them up to '5' in front and '9' in the rear.
    My lady friend hates it at '9' but thinks it rides better then her CRV at '1'! Go figure.
    4Wheel Parts had to order my Rancho's to match my lift! Never thought about it but I guess that makes sense.
    Also running 265/75 16's BFG KO2's

Al

8. corkey

corkey Moderator Emeritus Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Elite Canuck,multiple ifs offender,, and musky maniac,, i wheel and i fish,,
    99 xls,96 xl,91,08 Ranger