Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Ranger 3.0L DTC - P1446?

Discussion in 'Ford Ranger - Mazda B-Series Forum' started by Brandon96, August 1, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. Brandon96

Brandon96 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Central Virginia
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '96 XLT 4.0 OHV
    1996 Ranger 3.0L V6 2WD

Throwing a P1446 DTC. I can't find the code in my Explorer Haynes manual and a google search came up with;

1) EVAP System Vent Control Closed
    2) EVAP Vacuum Solenoid Malfunction - ((I'm leaning towards this one as the truck has a slight stutter during idle))

There was no further information displayed on how to diagnose the problem on either website. I'm wondering if anyone has had this code or has any info on what I should start looking at, or if some one could look in a Ranger Haynes/Chiltons manual for a more clear and definitive answer? Is this referring to the fuel EVAP system? :dunno:

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks guys!

p.s. Looks like I'll be joining the Ranger forum as well now, thing only has 40k miles, what a find!! :D:D:D

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Tbars4

Tbars4 Moderator Emeritus Elite In Memoriam

Media:
    City, State:
    anaheim hills,california
    95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
    ...This sounds similar to what I've had in my X..Are you having problems fueling up he truck at all? Sometimes you will just get the code with no fueling problem and if you reset it, you can start it cold and it won't come on till it warms up and, sometimes it's just blocked up..

...Your EVAP system is not venting properly..In my X, I ran the gambit...

1) The charcoal canister was spent and is a wear item..It's life is cut even shorter when topping off as raw fuel instead of vapors will make their way to the canister..

2) The solenoid purge valve was sticky as in not opening and closing when it should..Another wear item..

3) Rubber line from vent tube rotted on inside and actually started plugging up canister and hose to SPV..I got all Sherlock Holmes on it and had to replace the line..

..These items would be where I would look first...Let me know how it turns out..:biggthump

4. KingTriEye

KingTriEye Member

City, State:
    Hull, Ma
    2000 Mountaineer Monterey
    Check the fuel filler neck too right under the cap. My Mountaineer had a simialr issue and would shudder at certain shift points. Thought it was the transmission, but turned out to be there was a small crack in the gray part that the cap clicks into. This small gap is letting in just enough air and is causing the studder you might be experiencing. Some have just patched it, others replaced it. I replaced it.

5. Brandon96

City, State:
    Central Virginia
    '96 XLT 4.0 OHV
    Thanks guys for the detailed responses;

Tbars, what problems would I look for upon filling up? Maybe a leak somewhere in the fill tube, or some back up as the fuel is going into the tank? Or would it be purely in the ventilation system?

I'll investigate everything in the AM when it's light outside. :/

EDIT -- Where would I find the solenoid purge valve on the Ranger? The only thing I've ever done regarding a fuel system was drop the tank and replace my Explorer's fuel pump.. So I'm kinda new to the back end of these trucks.. :p:

6. Tbars4

Media:
    City, State:
    anaheim hills,california
    95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
    ..I'm pretty sure you will find the problem between #1-#3...:hammer:

..A common symptom when filling up would be the fuel nozzle would keep clicking off even if your tank was about empty...

7. Brandon96

City, State:
    Central Virginia
    '96 XLT 4.0 OHV
    Alrighty... Cleared the codes and headed to the pump this morning. It did click off a couple of times when it came close reaching full, but I managed to get 1-2 more gallons in before it topped off.

HOWEVER, On the way home it threw a new code, P1443 - Incorrect EVAP Purge Control Valve flow. One quick search came up 2 popular solutions; something wrong with the vacuum line between intake and purge valve, or something wrong with the actual purge valve. I'll be checking into it this afternoon.

Last edited: August 3, 2011
  8. Tbars4

Media:
    City, State:
    anaheim hills,california
    95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
    ..Have you located the SPV yet?

9. Brandon96

City, State:
    Central Virginia
    '96 XLT 4.0 OHV
    Didn't have time to today. I'm not 100% on what the solenoid assembly visually looks like, much less on where it is actually located on the Ranger..

Last edited: August 3, 2011
  10. Tbars4

Media:
    City, State:
    anaheim hills,california
    95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
    ...I take it your charcoal canister is on the drivers side under the hood?

..One rubber hose runs down and toward the rear which is going to your gas tank..The other hose heads over to your engine...

..Follow that hose and either within a foot of the canister or up under your upper intake manifold you will find it..;)

..This will be inline (your SPV) with the hose from the canister to your engine..

[​IMG]

11. Brandon96

City, State:
    Central Virginia
    '96 XLT 4.0 OHV
    Alright, I just went outside and located everything as well what I think the issue is. Excuse my informative post, but I'm bored :p:. For people who might have this issue after me..

In my readings I found that the DTC - P1443 refers to an issue with the EVAP Solenoid. Either it's clogged with carbon or it has failed. I'm not sure if this is a cleanable part, I doubt it, but most people have just replaced it. The P1443 code can also be caused by a vacuum leak, which is what I think is whats happening in my case as I've got some seriously eroded vacuum lines. The DTC - P1444, refers to an issue with the EVAP Flow Sensor, this one can be cleaned before replacing it. Regarding the P1446 code, it came back in addition to the P1443 just now when I moved the truck around in the driveway.. I don't know why it keeps popping up, but I'm going to ignore it for now.

This is the EVAP Purge / Vacuum Assembly on the 3.0L V6 ((It's usually tucked down underneath the powersteering pump, I pulled it up to be viewed))
    [​IMG]

Because I have a slight stutter at idle, I think my problem is a vacuum leak somewhere forward or aft of the solenoid;
    [​IMG]

Or where the vacuum line enters the intake;
    [​IMG]

Oh, and the obligatory picture of the new ride..
    [​IMG]

Thanks Tbars!

12. Tbars4

Media:
    City, State:
    anaheim hills,california
    95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
    ..Your very welcome..:D

...Looks like you've found your problem..:biggthump

We Support Our Troops!