Ranger Newbie looking for front locker experience,suggestions, thoughts!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ranger Newbie looking for front locker experience,suggestions, thoughts!!

SuperSonicFX4

Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque New Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Ranger FX4 Level II
Hey All!! Nice looking forum you guys got going. And some sweet rigs I've seen so far. :thumbsup:

I got a mall rated 03 Ranger FX4 Level II, check here for pictures (Theres alot of pages most of the wheeling pictures are the last pages).

Anywho, I'm a member at www.offroadrangers.com and was lead this way for more rigs with the front lunch box lockers. I got soem extra cash and would LOVE to have a front locker. I know I don't need it but would love to have it!!! Although selcetable locker would be ideal, but as we know the powertrax no-slip and lock right r our only options.

So I've been reading up on this thread about the front locker reviews. Lots of different thoughts on the front locker, some say they got it and love it, some say they never made one for our front axle, some have problems w/ the lock right, some can't find one....etc...etc.

If you wouldn't mind if you got one tell me how long you've had it and if you think I should get one?? I still what my truck as a daily driver but also want to added traction of the locker when I wheel.

Also not trying to take away from the "front locker review thread" just want a more up to date stat and opinon on if I should get one or not!!!

Sorry for the long post.
Thanks Great site.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome.

They make lockers for our TTB dana 35. I have an ARB just haven't installed it yet. I know we have at least 3 options for our front end just cant remember them all but ARB is available. Someday they will finish the Aussie locker. Someone else chime in!

Maybe for the TTB dana 35 but I don't think the SLA front end that ford put on in 98+ on the Rangers and 95+ on X's??

Thanks for the welcome!!

Doh! Didnt look to see what year it was. My bad!

Oh and your welcome for the welcome.

Bump in hopes of a little more replies!!

I'd say get one if you plan on wheeling a lot. With a front locker and the limited slip you have already you'll only be limited by clearance, but they make some good lifts for your truck I think. Also, you have 2wd option on your TCase (right?) switch so no need for the brown wire mod.

If you do get one I would highly recommend you either install it yourself (pain in the as$ getting to the diff) or have it installed by someone who know what a powertrax is. Don't go bargain on the install. The powertrax lockers are not hard to install but if not done correctly it will give you problems.

Good luck!

The FX4 Level II's come with 4x4 shift lever. None of thise electrical shifter stuff. So I'm good to go there. No brown wire mod.

340008_65_full.jpg

And heres a couple pictures

340008_407_full.jpg

436901.jpg

From the wire up on the front axle disassemble and from what I've read on powertrax, the weekend mechcanic can handle the install. Is that wrong???

a weekend mechanic can do the install just fine i think. i did mine. there is a great writeup here about getting the front diff out. its really not difficult at all, but reading the directions can make it seem overwhelming.
my thoughts about the whole "do they really make one" thing... they may not make them anymore, but they sure as heck did make them. josh adams (silverman on the ranger site) has the lockright in his ranger. a bunch of us have no-slips and many have lockrights up front. the noslip seems to be the easier install of the two. it sounds like you will have one heck of a time finding a new one to buy if they did stop production. but as luck would have it, i know where you can find a great used (less than a year) no-slip for sale within a couple of months if someone else doesn't take it.

i put a no-slip in the front of mine. i thought the rear made a big difference.. but nothing like compared to locking the front. i can't tell that it is there when i have the truck in 2wd. not even a small peep every now and then. its invisible from what i can tell, until you need it on the trail.

Dude lets go wheeling! Me Marty196 and Brian1 always go wheeling around Albs!

Jason-thanks man. I found some online or so they say. I have a friend trying to get me a good deal on one. He can't found that part number, he was going to call around today and see what he come up with. The write up on the front diff is great, I don't see any major problems with taking it off.

Joey-Send me a PM or something, next time you guys go out. Looks like u guys hit up the rio peruco(sp). I've only been there twice, I'm more of a sand player than a rock crawler. Have u checked out www.nmvjc.org great guys and theres usually a local trail ride going on.

Back