Ranger runs cold after installing explorer radiator | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ranger runs cold after installing explorer radiator

wabenj

Reaction score
City, State
Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ranger 2.3L
i have a 2002 Ranger 4 cylinder standard shift. I purchased it 4 months age and the ac didn't work. After fixing the ac the engine would overheat especially at higher speeds. The radiator cracked after overheating so I replaced the radiator with a radiator from a 6 cylinder explorer (with a few modifications). It has two rows cooling finsin it instead of the one row in my old radiator. Now the engine runs cold and in the morning the temp gage will hardly move (stays on C), expecially at high speeds. The temp will only run normal when I am in stop and go in very hot weather (over 90 degrees). What should I do? Partially block the radiator? Check the thermostat to see if it is stuck open? Where is the thermostat on this truck?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..Welcome here...:D

..If I'm not mistaken, the 2002 model 2.3L Rangers had 2 fans for cooling...A typical fan clutch for normal driving and an electric fan for when the A/C was on...

My 95 has the single core and just the fan clutch type fan and I've never needed more cooling (in 117*-119* desert temps) but will someday go to an electric fan to gain HP and MPG's...

I think by throwing in a two core 4.0 Radiator you may have shot yourself in the foot as you may not be able to get that thing to warm up...It is said the 2.3L can run a long time without even turning an electric fan on with a 195* thermostat and the single core radiator..:dunno:

You may not be able to find a high a temperature t-stat in that small of a diameter size that the 2.3L requires..

Google the thermostat location for your make and model and then replace your thermostat and see if that fixes the problem.

You should definitely check out the thermostat. The radiator controls the cooling capacity of the engine but the thermostat basically controls the temperature. If the thermostat is stuck closed the engine will over heat and if it is stuck open it will run cold if the radiator has the capacity to keep the engine cold.

I don't know where the thermostat is on your engine but you should be able to use a stock thermostat that is working properly.

Thanks for your replies, I do have two fans. At first I did not connect the electric fan, then the ac was cool but not cold, especially in the 90 degree weather. But, even with the electric fan disconnected, the engine ran cold, except for like I said before when in stop and go in hot weather. I will replace the thermostat(s) and let you know what happens. I think this vehicle may have two thermostats.

Back