1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Rattling/pinging noise followup. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by bumpkin, January 2, 2005.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. bumpkin

bumpkin New Member

City, State:
      Brooklyn, New York
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      "02 XLT
      Hi all,

Thanks again to all who responded to my previous question about this problem; and Happy New Year!!

After many questions and several mechanics, I am convinced that the source of the rattling/pinging/knocking (???) noise that I hear at around 2500 RPM's coming from the front of the engine compartment is a problem with the "primary timing chain tensioner". As I have unfortunately found out, this is a fairly common and VERY expensive to repair problem with Explorers.
      ( 2002 Exp OHC 47,000 miles).

I read somewhere on the web that Ford may have offered an extension of the warranty to cover this problem. Am I dreaming? Also, I am contemplating a claim against the dealer that (deliberately?) misdiagnosed the problem when I took the car in with about 200 miles left on the warranty. Ford, I am told, claims that this problem does not affect safety nor longevity. Any thoughts, suggestions or sources of information on any of the above would be very welcomed.

Best regards.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.