Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Rattling Shaking Noise - HELP PLEASE

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by dsturch1, August 25, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. dsturch1

dsturch1 Member

City, State:
    Pennington, NJ
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    03 4.0 XLT & 98 5.0 XLT
    Alright everyone, any input and or help here would be GREATLY appreciated. I have a 98 Explorer with a 5.0L in it and I have had a noise going on in my truck for a little while and I have had zero luck with anyone at all being able to help me figure out what is going on. When I am driving, the truck will drive just fine - however there will sometimes be a rattling noise coming from the truck. If I have the pedal in the same spot and am cruising, more often on the highway - I will notice a rattling or shaking noise from under the truck.

Initially I thought it was my e-brake cable, so I changed the cable out and nothing changed. I then took my truck to an exhaust shop, they tightened up all of the O2 sensors and checked all of the hangers and nothing was changed. The noise gets worse if I accelerate a little bit more, however if I let off of the pedal completely all together - the noise stops. Any pointers, help, or advise would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. joker1457

joker1457 Active Member

City, State:
    Aurora, Co
    98 Eddie Bauer 4.0 SOHC
    Have you checked the driveshafts for play?

4. RomeovilleIL

RomeovilleIL Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Illinois
    98 LTD, 00 XLT
    This is a 5.0 right? Is there any vibration in the vehicle to accompany the noise? Does it seem to come from a particular area under the truck?

5. Turdle

Turdle Moderator Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Humboldt, KS
    2000 Mounty
    Go underneath and whack the muffler pretty hard with your fist, listen for a rattle.

then hit the cat converter under the transmission. While under there grab the front drive shaft and try to twist it, move it back and forth

edit, our 93 made a buzzing noise only at certain throttle positions, loads. It was the heat shield above the muffler. A couple of self tapping screws fixed it

Last edited: August 25, 2011
  6. dr pepper

dr pepper New Member

1999 Explorer
    The thing about rattles is that they can be the simplest thing at times. Check the simplest things first . I had a rattle on my s10, ended up being the rubber seal just inside the caliper where it receives the attachment bolts (.50 cents).Take into account the fact that you have to be traveling at a certain speed. Does it happen all the time or intermintently?This rattling could be in combination with out of balance tires causing whatever it is to rattle . Check the rear shocks. On my explorer (99) it has a small shock in the rear that sits sideways, pardon my ignorance but I do not know what its function is, but thats something to check. The heat shield on the tranny was loose on mine and caused a rattle , that was my bad. Anyhow you get the idea . SIMPLE FIRST