"Rattling" sound from auto trans when idling in gear | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

"Rattling" sound from auto trans when idling in gear

meternerd

Reaction score
City, State
truckee, ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Limited
My daughter just bought a 2002 Explorer V8 (120,000 Miles) 4WD with auto transmission. When in gear, either drive or reverse, there is a noise sort of like a rattle or scraping sound coming from the transmission. I tried to check the fluid level, but when I took out the small center plug of the drain plug, 3 quarts of oil drained out! I'm assuming the "level tube" is broken off inside or is missing altogether. I haven't been able to find a replacement drain plug assembly on the Net, so if anyone knows where I can get one I'd appreciate the info. Or, if you know how long the tube is, I could probably make one. Any thoughts on the noise would also be nice. New to these trannys, but a long time Ford owner.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is no fill tube on that transmission. It's filled through the drain plug. Now that rattle is probably the torque converter. Very common on the early Gen 3's. I have it, too, on my '03. I just live with it. Search this site and you will see many posts about the torque converter rattle. I would take it back to the shop and have them replace the oil. Heck, at 120K miles I would guess that it has never been serviced and it really should be. New fluid and filter is in order. ATF does wear out. Once that's done, do your diffs and transfer case (if 4WD or AWD) too.

Maybe I'm not being clear...

I know there is no tube and dipstick setup on the tranny. It is filled by pumping fluid into the drain plug fitting.....but, to check level, you remove the small plug from the center of the drain plug and a small amount of fluid should drip out. When I took mine out, a flood of fluid came out. Three quarts and still running out....so I assume that the "standpipe" that allows fluid out only when it is above the top of the "level tube" is not there or has broken off. Either way, I'll need a new drain plug with the tube attached, or I can make one if I know how tall to make it. Make sense?

Did you have the vehicle running when you pulled the center plug? If not, that would explain the extra 3 quarts. It needs to be running, otherwise after you think you have it full, it will be severely under filled.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I did have it running in park and warm. I read the procedure in the Haynes manual, so I think I did it right. I'm dropping the pan today to change the filter, so I'll find out what's up. Then it's on to the noisy wheel bearings...yuk! Any guess as to how many quarts of fluid I'll need for the filter change?

Are you 100% sure the noise is coming from the tranny?

I had a similar noise on my 94, turned out to be a heat shield (part of the exhaust system, near the tranny). It was very weird, would only do it when in gear and stopped, etc. Must have had something to do with RPMs, parts moving near it, etc.

I (stupidly) ignored it and it eventually broke off and flew away on the highway. Noise never returned. :)

Mike

The tranny noises are very common on the 02 explorers with the 4.6L. I bought mine in 2005. When I bought it, I told the salesman I wanted the "heat shield noise" fixed before I took delivery. He agreed because it was "probably just a heat shield." To make a long story short, the noise was coming from the tranny. My explorer had 80k on it in 2005 so they told me it was the first one they had come across with this issue. I had to bring it back 4 times before the problem was finally resolved. And they were on the phone with Ford every time, trying new things.
I have heard of this many times since then, so I'm sure the OP's noise is a tranny noise.

Edit: I'm not sure what they replaced to finally fix the noise.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I did have it running in park and warm. I read the procedure in the Haynes manual, so I think I did it right. I'm dropping the pan today to change the filter, so I'll find out what's up. Then it's on to the noisy wheel bearings...yuk! Any guess as to how many quarts of fluid I'll need for the filter change?

I just did a drain and fill on mine and it took about 4 quarts. I'd buy 1 extra just in case.

im experiencing the same problem on my 03 exp limited v8 .. i made an appt with ford .. 2 other roardside shops just do not have a clue

I haven't been able to find a replacement drain plug assembly on the Net, so if anyone knows where I can get one I'd appreciate the info.

I had to buy one recently after the dealer tightened the smaller fill plug too tight and I stripped it out trying to get it off. Got mine through the same dealer for about $10. Oh, the irony :mad:

I'm just saying it could be the heat shield, in case the OP didn't think of that. One downside of the forums is that people sometimes jump to the wrong conclusions when they hear a noise, based on others' experiences. Always go for the cheap/easy fix first. :)

Also, I would post something like this in the tranny section of the forum, you may get more relevant answers.

Hope this helps.

Mike

I'm just saying it could be the heat shield, in case the OP didn't think of that. One downside of the forums is that people sometimes jump to the wrong conclusions when they hear a noise, based on others' experiences. Always go for the cheap/easy fix first. :)

Also, I would post something like this in the tranny section of the forum, you may get more relevant answers.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Agreed.:thumbsup:

Long reply, and Thanks!!!

Thank you everyone for your help. I just got done with it. I must have been doing something wrong with the level check. I started it up, pulled the small plug and about half a quart came out and then it stopped. I drained the pan and pulled it off...no problems inside. Very clean with almost nothing on the magnet. Replaced the filter with one from NAPA (felt type filter element inside like the original) and put it back together. Filled it with 6 quarts of fluid (none ran out when I took off the fill tubing), engine off, then started it and warmed it up a bit, then went through all gears a few times, then pulled the fill tubing off again and about half a quart drained out before it stopped. Buttoned it up and it runs and shifts fine. But the rattle is still there. While I had it up in the air, I put a screwdriver up to the TQ and held it to my ear. Definitely the TQ, but no worse than before. Took it for a test drive and all is well. I'll tell my daughter to just turn up the stereo and she'll never know it rattles. As far as the wheel bearings, I could hear no noise when I had it up and in gear with all 4 wheel spinning. Must be the rear end...so I'll wait to see if it gets worse before I do anything.

One dumb newbie question.... how do I know if it's a limited slip diff?

Are all 4WD Explorers LSD? I'd like to add thicker oil as recommended by Ford, but I'm not sure if I have to add the "friction stuff" when I refill it.

Again, thanks for the help....I think I might learn to like this car! Which is good, because I'm the one who told her to buy it! $6900, V8 limited in like new condition visually with a fairly low mileage engine (oil pump quit and wiped the original engine a month before I bought it). I own an Audi and an MG, but this site beats the others hands down! Also own a 79 F250 plow truck....which I love!

Yep the rattle -diesel- noise is comming from the Torque Converter...

Jeremy

had my truck at one shop he stated he replaced my TQ ,,, noise is still there louder than ever

My wife and i purchased an 03 Limited a few years back with the same rattle the guy that sold us the truck said it was a heat shield rattle and i took his word for it. i brought it home checked it, everything seemed tight,took it to the dealer they said it needed a TQ converter i replaced it my self $350 dollars later problem solved. we have an 04 Limited now hopfully it wont get that sickness:)

is there a post of " how to do it " replacing the TQ

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm glad this post came up. I also notice a rattle in any gear. Now I can check to see if it's the heat shield or torque converter. It sounds like something exhaust related, although a local shop thinks it's a trans thing.

Back