RCD lift kit PURCHASED!!!!! no more tortion bars 4 me! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RCD lift kit PURCHASED!!!!! no more tortion bars 4 me!

410Fortune said:
Deaver or national leafs :)
I took a quick peek at their sites and it looks like they both primairly make lift kits? In my case wouldn't I want stock ride height leafs since I'm going SOA?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

r37ribution said:
I took a quick peek at their sites and it looks like they both primairly make lift kits? In my case wouldn't I want stock ride height leafs since I'm going SOA?
They both make custom packs. You tell them what you have and what you want and they show up at your door.

You may want slightly higher leaf springs. My spindles gave me a 3" lift, and with the SOA the Ex was even. My springs were a little saggy, but it was still pretty close. My suggestion is to do the front, then do the SOA, then measure and see what type springs you need, normal or lifted. I imagine that it will only be about an inch or two of lift you'll need.

Thanks for all the input. My stock ones are completely shot with 200k on them.

DocVijay - Good idea, I was planning on doing the front first anyways since a lot of people have done SOA before; however none have provided any documentation that I know of on any hiccups I may run in to installing this lift.

I can't help myself but to imagin if I needed to move it anywhere that it would look pretty goofy riding down the road with just the front lifted. heh

would there be any reason that anyone can think of that this "wouldn't " work on my truck ? {'99,2-door X-sport
4x4}
I've been running the TT/ome spring pack lift.
I really would like to upgrade the ride on this truck while getting it lifted a bit more !

So.........

how is this lift coming along ???
have you started it yet ?
and I sure hope you can do a full writeup on the entire project !!,
if this all goes well for you I'm looking at early spring to get this lift as well !

Alright, this might be a stupid question, but after reading this thread i got curious, how similar are the 2nd Gen X's to the rangers? Is fitin this rcd kit on the type of thing that requires extensive moding, or is it a fairly simple bolt on?
obviously im not askin for myself as i got a 3rd gen, just curiositys sake

Rangers IFS started in 98, Explorer in 95. Other then that they are the same.
IFS with rack and pinion

William Schumacher said:
how is this lift coming along ???
have you started it yet ?
and I sure hope you can do a full writeup on the entire project !!,
if this all goes well for you I'm looking at early spring to get this lift as well !
My bad about no updates. Honestly, this is because there are none :rolleyes: I just got paid yesterday and yet AGAIN over $600 of my check went to bills. I think I should have enough left over to purchase the larger gears and leafs.

I'm currently researching TrueTrac LSDs for the front and rear of my truck before I purchase any gears. I don't have LSD and I want it with at least a 4.10.

Yeah I'll do a full writeup with pics. My sis bought a new digi cam which will be one less thing I need to spend money on for this, that will help out a lot.

Ok, I'm thinking 4.56's with PowerTrax Traction No-slip diffs. How does that sound if I'm looking at 33"-35" tires on my 4.0L OHV? I'm looking at possibly swapping to a 5.0 when my 4.0 goes out so I may need to go down a notch to a higher ratio if/when I swap.

I agree 35's + 4.56 = you :)

Thanks guys, still waiting on money...

My Rs will prolly be at least 4k if I don't upgrade my 31" to 33"s or 35"s soon ya think?

Anyone know where I can get a really good deal on a PowerTrax No-Slip or a TrueTrac? I've seen ~$400 so far.

also if anyone has experience with the No-Slip or TrueTrac, comments would be awesome. I've been reading a lot about the no-slip on RPS forums lately. Haven't found a ton on the TrueTrac yet...

check out the aussie locker supposed to be the best lunch box locker out there and its only 229 for the 8.8. im using one in my front 44.

I am going to put the RCD kit on my 97 in a week or so, an was wondering if anyone had actually put it on their X. I have seen the Ranger pics of it, but it will obviously look totally different on an Xplorer. And if anyone has are there any areas I should watch for on the install?

Ok. I've done my homework over the last few weeks which has only brought up more questions.

Here are the price quotes.

Front:
d35 master rebuild kit - $82.95
d35 4.56 gear kit - $199.95 (on backorder like a **** which really sucks since I was gonna lift the front first)

Rear:
Ford 8.8 TrueTrac - $413
8.8 master rebuild kit - $87.95
8.8 4.56 gear kit - $169.95

any comments on these prices?

I've decided on the TrueTrac, only I have heard from talking to Tim @ Reider Racing, a Detroit dealer, that the front diff in the 1995.5 X and newer has a dana 35 differential inside the case of a dana 28. Which causes a BIG problem when it comes to changing anything out of the front - there is not enough room.

The tech I spoke to said they even tried to hollow out the case on the front of an X to make room, unfortunately this weakened the case and it was scrapped.

So is this true? The front diff on the X cannot be upgraded to a TrueTrac? I'll be trying my best to find more info on this the next few days. If anyone can shead some light on this or give me any suggestions I would appreciate it.

On a side note, I was informed that the TrueTrac has been revised since its first release. He said they've added an additional gear to it (I forget specifically which gear he was talking about). In the origional version there were only two of these gears, now there are three. Maybe someone who knows more about these LSDs can chime in. This addition has made the TrueTrac as close to bullet proof as possible. He went so far as to say that he use to own one of the origional TrueTracs in his 8.8 F150 and never had a problem.

Ren1010 - A few people have posted that they know someone with the RCD lift installed, but I have never seen pics of it. I have heard the part numbers for the front suspension of the X and the Ranger are exactly the same up until around the '97 Rangers, so there should be no issues (at least this is what I'm banking on). If the ladder I will deal with it.

Ford really screwed us by putting that odd Dana 35 in there.
we tried for the past few years to get group buys and preorders together but the companies that make these things always put us on the back burners only to decide there wasn't enough interest to go ahead with a design :mad:

the Torsen was the one I really wanted,it was all I needed .
blame Ford for putting that ******* of a diffy in there to begin with.........

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

William Schumacher said:
Ford really screwed us by putting that odd Dana 35 in there.
we tried for the past few years to get group buys and preorders together but the companies that make these things always put us on the back burners only to decide there wasn't enough interest to go ahead with a design :mad:

the Torsen was the one I really wanted,it was all I needed .
blame Ford for putting that ******* of a diffy in there to begin with.........
So my best bet is to go with replacing my stock front diff with a stock LSD? There is enough room in the front diff to upgrade to 4.56 I hope?

Did the front diff of the Ranger come with a TrueTrac or Torsen type diff in the FX4 that is compatible with the front of our trucks? or were these types of LSDs only used in the rear of the FX4s?

Back