RCD shock and mount numbers. | Page 19 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

RCD shock and mount numbers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the perfect unit for the front would be the prototype Torsen {if and when they get it to market ?}

Don't quote me on this, but I recall seeing somewhere this wasn't a matter of if anymore, but now a matter of when. It might have been over on ranger-forums.com.

Don't quote me on this, but I recall seeing somewhere this wasn't a matter of if anymore, but now a matter of when. It might have been over on ranger-forums.com.

they been saying this for sometime now ?
I've spoken to Rick at least a dozen or so times over the last couple years.
I'm in the Northeast and the Brown Wire Mod {BWM} isn't a good idea for me.

Torsen is in Upstate NY,and they said this unit worked great in the Winter months !!

CMAX and Evan-Thought i would share my experience with spring rates since you two were the ones discussing it...I'm currently running a 8.5" coilover with a 650lb 14" spring..and just like CMAX the spring is compressed about 2" to compensate for the ride height and since no one makes a 2.5" I.D. spring in a 16" length at a 650-750 lb rate we're either stuck compressing a 14" spring two inches, making a spacer like CMAX did and run a 12" spring or (what i'm doing) run a dual rate set-up....not necessarilly recommended for such a short shock body but it's the route i'm taking and since no one really runs a dual rate setup on an 8.5" coilover the spring rates are going to be my "best guess" but i've researched it a lot and talked to some knowledgable people and i've decided to go with a 10" 750lb main spring and a 6" 650lb tender, keep in mind this is for a v-8 with a front bumper out of 1.5" DOM...so i don't know if anyone else will run a dual rate with their set-up but i figure i might as well post it just in case...

I have those epsilon shocks on my ST, with 800lb Hypercoil springs.. Works great.. Also have 300psi in the shock body. Evan just go to Moab and you can see it in person!!!!!
The install is very easy, just a matter of drilling the holes and bolting the mounts in.

Chad

Unfortunately, Moab is most likely out this year :( Fuel costs will be way too high to make the drive. It cost me almost $800-$900 round trip last year, gas is higher now than before.

I don't/won't have access for additional nitrogen in my C/O's so I will have to find the correct spring.

Evan,
You can get nitrogen filled anywhere. I took mine to a motorcycle shop, and they added gas in about 5 minutes. Just take it to a shop that works on motocross bikes/rear shocks. Or even a welding supply shop can do it to.

CMAX and Evan-Thought i would share my experience with spring rates since you two were the ones discussing it...I'm currently running a 8.5" coilover with a 650lb 14" spring..and just like CMAX the spring is compressed about 2" to compensate for the ride height and since no one makes a 2.5" I.D. spring in a 16" length at a 650-750 lb rate we're either stuck compressing a 14" spring two inches, making a spacer like CMAX did and run a 12" spring or (what i'm doing) run a dual rate set-up....not necessarilly recommended for such a short shock body but it's the route i'm taking and since no one really runs a dual rate setup on an 8.5" coilover the spring rates are going to be my "best guess" but i've researched it a lot and talked to some knowledgable people and i've decided to go with a 10" 750lb main spring and a 6" 650lb tender, keep in mind this is for a v-8 with a front bumper out of 1.5" DOM...so i don't know if anyone else will run a dual rate with their set-up but i figure i might as well post it just in case...

Do you think you will get both springs (16"+dual hardware) installed without using a spring compresser?

I also want to point out that you have the camburg lift for a 2wd X, meaning that the 8.5" coilover probably best fits your application. I would recommend anyone with a superlift front lift use a 6.5 inch coilover shock. I will be explaining why in my writeup.

CMAX

I'm a little confused here. Does epsilon mean emulsion??? Just wanna make sure I on the same page!!! I am guessing thats so.....

Anyways, to answer your question. I was told that the emulsion shock is a mixture of nitrogen and oil and the reservoir shock separates the fluid and gas with a spacer. The reservoir shock is consider a better performing shock since it can disappate heat more efficiently. It can also be mounted at any angle and upside down. The emulsion does not do either. The bigest reason I went with the reservoir shock is because I run the sand dunes every year here in michigan. I wanted a shock that was going to handle the abuse since that is the place that caused all the damage in the first place and the main reason I started this conversion.

CMAX

Do you think you will get both springs (16"+dual hardware) installed without using a spring compresser?

I also want to point out that you have the camburg lift for a 2wd X, meaning that the 8.5" coilover probably best fits your application. I would recommend anyone with a superlift front lift use a 6.5 inch coilover shock. I will be explaining why in my writeup.

CMAX

No i'll probably need to compress the spring to make it fit..i'm sure dialing in a spring rate will be even easier on a 6.5" body shock, no dual rate setup to think about and i think eibach makes a 12" spring up to 1000 lbs so getting the correct weight shouldn't be an issue

No i'll probably need to compress the spring to make it fit..i'm sure dialing in a spring rate will be even easier on a 6.5" body shock, no dual rate setup to think about and i think eibach makes a 12" spring up to 1000 lbs so getting the correct weight shouldn't be an issue

I have done the calculations for the dual rate you intend to use. I used 750 main and 650 tender. I came up with a intial weight of 348lbs of intial spring rate, which means you will be completely compressing the tender spring since I'm sure your V8 is more than 345lbs on either side. Knowing this it doesnt sound like its going to be a true dual rate setup. The 6" spring is just going to be a spacer if you will. Please correct me if this is the wrong thinking......

CMAX

No thats correct but it shouldn't compress all the way it will have an initial of 348 lbs/in like you said..and my best guess is that i'll need about 750lbs from each spring to take the vehicles weight at ride height, therefore the 6" spring will be compressed by 2.16" and according to the compressed length chart from eibach, as long as the spring compression is less than 3.43" there will be no coil bind and will function as a spring like it is supposed to rather than just act like a spacer, so it will be a true dual rate.....initially i was thinking of keeping my 14" spring and using a 2" spacer but a dual rate setup just seems like a smarter way to go for my situation

No thats correct but it shouldn't compress all the way it will have an initial of 348 lbs/in like you said..and my best guess is that i'll need about 750lbs from each spring to take the vehicles weight at ride height, therefore the 6" spring will be compressed by 2.16" and according to the compressed length chart from eibach, as long as the spring compression is less than 3.43" there will be no coil bind and will function as a spring like it is supposed to rather than just act like a spacer, so it will be a true dual rate.....initially i was thinking of keeping my 14" spring and using a 2" spacer but a dual rate setup just seems like a smarter way to go for my situation

I agree on that but wonder if its just the tender spring that compresses first or is it a combination of the two springs?

CMAX

It's both springs, each with its spring rate compressing it a certain amount, algebra.

Right-but i was just saying conservatively if the 6" spring takes all the compression all by itself it still won't bind. that being said since the 2.16" compression distribution will be taken on by both springs it is easy to see that there will be no binding.

Right-but i was just saying conservatively if the 6" spring takes all the compression all by itself it still won't bind. that being said since the 2.16" compression distribution will be taken on by both springs it is easy to see that there will be no binding.

I kinda agree on the binding given the proper spring rates and preloading of the springs. I would recommend a higher spring rate than 750 as your main. I went to a 850lb/in spring and its just perfect for my V6.

CMAX

I kinda agree on the binding given the proper spring rates and preloading of the springs. I would recommend a higher spring rate than 750 as your main. I went to a 850lb/in spring and its just perfect for my V6.

CMAX

I don't understand how you still think it will bind??? I'm confused..unless you're saying that you agree that it won't bind, i can't tell? Anyways i'm planning on sticking with the 750 main....talking with both companies that make long travel specific kits for explorers as well as individuals who are doing something similar, most people recommend anywhere between 500/600-650/800 being that i have the v-8 and a bumper i'm sticking towards the latter rate...although if i'm wrong i'll let you know so you can say 'i told you so'(and i mean no offense by that at all)

I don't understand how you still think it will bind??? I'm confused..unless you're saying that you agree that it won't bind, i can't tell? Anyways i'm planning on sticking with the 750 main....talking with both companies that make long travel specific kits for explorers as well as individuals who are doing something similar, most people recommend anywhere between 500/600-650/800 being that i have the v-8 and a bumper i'm sticking towards the latter rate...although if i'm wrong i'll let you know so you can say 'i told you so'(and i mean no offense by that at all)

I am just trying to help. I kinda agree means I'm really not sure. The fact that you have a V8 worries me.

After running the numbers you probably will not coil bind after preloading. I would recommend running the secondary nut down just before the tender spring were to coil bind. This way you revert to the main spring rate without coil binding on the tender spring.

CMAX

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hay cmax I'm curious as to what ever happened to your computer. Did you end up losing your CAD stuff or do you still have the schematics for the brackets?

Back